phpBB versions question

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
BWall

phpBB versions question

Post by BWall »

My site has been running phpBB for many years. The current version is 2.0.21.
It has been working very well, and I installed some MODs so I have been reluctant to upgrade.
I have been thinking about it though because when I log in to my site it keeps telling me my phpBB software is out of date. I went to look at the current version and the phpBB.com web site says current stable version is 3.2.3. But when I log into my web site that uses the older version it says this:

Your installation does not seem to be up to date. Updates are available for your version of phpBB, please visit http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php to obtain the latest version.
The latest available version is phpBB 7.2.0. You are running phpBB 2.0.21.

Why is my site reporting a version 7 if version 3 is current?

Just curious.

Thank you.

BW
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: phpBB versions question

Post by HiFiKabin »

Welcome. You are indeed many many versions out of date.

I think you are confusing two different things there.

phpBB is the software, php is the language it it written in. To be honest I am surprised that your hosting company is still using a php version that allows you to run phpBB 2.0.21 without error.

For security reasons (both php and phpBB security) you should update to the latest version. As you surmise you will lose all of your existing mods but there are a large number of extensions in the database which do not require you to edit files in the same way mods did. Its a case of upload, enable and there it is ready to use.

if you would like to update and need help or advice, please post in 3.2.x support and we will be glad to help you.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes, you are even out of date with the 2.0 version. the last version of phpbb 2.0 was 2.0.23

if you need help with your 2.0 board other than upgrading to 3.2 then the place to go is here:

http://phpbb2refugees.com/index.php

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
BWall

Post by BWall »

Thank you for responding. But I am not confused. I know the difference between php programming language and phpBB software package for the bulletin board function.

The message that I provided in my original post is a message that the phpBB software reports when I log into the admin panel. It clearly says:

"The latest available version is phpBB 7.2.0. You are running phpBB 2.0.21."

The phpBB software is generating this I think. I do not know why the php installed at the host service would try to go out and find the current version of the phpBB to report to me that it is out of date. So, I am just wondering how phpBB software can report that the most current version is 7.2.0 when there is no such thing.

The 2.0.21 is running perfectly. I have no problems with operation.
I am getting ready to upgrade anyway. It's just time...maybe you say, it is way past time....but since it has been working well, I have felt no pressure to change.

BW
Ger

Post by Ger »

BWall wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm The message that I provided in my original post is a message that the phpBB software reports when I log into the admin panel. It clearly says:

"The latest available version is phpBB 7.2.0. You are running phpBB 2.0.21."

The phpBB software is generating this I think. I do not know why the php installed at the host service would try to go out and find the current version of the phpBB to report to me that it is out of date. So, I am just wondering how phpBB software can report that the most current version is 7.2.0 when there is no such thing.
Well, since support for phpBB 2.0.x has ended almost 10 years ago there is little chance anyone will provide you with an answer to this question other than "probably some obscure bug".

Keep in mind though; phpBB 2.0.x was written for PHP3, updated for PHP4 and made to work with PHP5. It won't work with PHP7, so once your host upgrades their servers, you'll be stuck. The latest PHP5 version will also reach End of Life coming January.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

BWall wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm "The latest available version is phpBB 7.2.0. You are running phpBB 2.0.21."
The ancient 2.0 versions of phpBB cannot read the "newest version" properly. You can see the same message here on my own old board:
Attachments
ver-2.0.png
ver-2.0.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Ger

Post by Ger »

Brf wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm The ancient 2.0 versions of phpBB cannot read the "newest version" properly. You can see the same message here on my own old board:
How can anyone read that? :?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
BWall

Post by BWall »

Cool thanks for the info. I know our host server is running the latest version of php.

I will speak to them about the upgrade.

You guys are scaring me that I should have done this a long time ago....

BW
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BWall wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm Cool thanks for the info. I know our host server is running the latest version of php.

I will speak to them about the upgrade.
It would surprise me if phpbb 2.0.x runs with php 7+; I suspect your setup is on php 5.x

Also, you shouldn't depend on your host for any upgrades or updates of phpBB since most hosts modify the phpBB-files which implies that support from here cannot be guaranteed.
Install phpBB yourself using the files which you can download from here!
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 pmIt would surprise me if phpbb 2.0.x runs with php 7
Not only you :)
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Brf wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm
The ancient 2.0 versions of phpBB cannot read the "newest version" properly.
That could be because the update-check for it seems malformed https://www.phpbb.com/updatecheck/20x.txt
Here is the one for the 3.0.x lines https://www.phpbb.com/updatecheck/30x.txt

phpBB 2.x.xx reads that file here: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/c73 ... #L563-L627
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
BWall

Post by BWall »

FYI

I checked with our host service and they are running:

PHP version: 5.6.30
Lumpy Burgertushie

that may not be accurate for your board etc.

best way to know exactly what version of php is running on your exact part of the server is to run the phpinfo.php file that is found in the install folder for phpbb

look on your computer for the folder named install that came with your copy of phpbb. within that folder is a file named phpinfo.php

upload that to the root of your board, the same place that the config.php file is locate.

then, in your browser , go to ; yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/phpinfo.php

the page that results will tell you right at the top what version of php you are truly working with.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

There isn't such file in phpBB2, a php_info.php file it's quite simple though.

Code: Select all

<?php
phpinfo();
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Lumpy Burgertushie

oops, forgot you were running phpbb2.

as mentioned above, you can copy that bit of code and paste it into a text file and name it phpinfo.php and upload it and run it to find out for sure about your php version.

however, phpbb 2 many not run on php 5.6.30 but phpbb3.2.3 will run just fine on php 5.6.30 so if that really is your php version then the problem lies elsewhere.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”