Convert WordPress Site into phpBB forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
bukharifaran
Name: Faran Akhtar

Convert WordPress Site into phpBB forum

Post by bukharifaran »

Hi,

I have a WordPress website which is basically a news site. This site has almost 400-500 daily visitors. I believe that if I install a forum on that site then it will be much easier to interact with the visitors as they can create their accounts and can comment on the daily news.

Installing a new forum is an option. But I want to know if there is any possibility to convert WordPress website into a phpBB forum? I mean auto conversion?

Like categories of WordPress site will be different forum categories on phpBB forum. Sub-categories of the WordPress site should be converted into boards. And posts of the WordPress site should be converted into forum topics.

Though I've an idea that it would be difficult to do or impossible at all. But just wanted to know if there is any way to convert existing WordPress site with all its data into a phpBB forum?

Thanks.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Convert WordPress Site into phpBB forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

while anything is possible I have never heard of this being done before.
they are two completely different types of programs. someone would have to create a very large and difficult conversion script to do it.

I would suggest you install phpbb, setup a bridge that will merge the user base and let the users slowly switch over or just turn off the comments in wp and force them to switch etc.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
bukharifaran
Name: Faran Akhtar

Post by bukharifaran »

Okay. Thank you. I had the feeling that it would not be easily possible... Justed want to know if there is something like this.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Note upfront: this won't be pretty :P

But I think there might be a solution. If you setup wordpress RSS feeds and make sure you include the complete text in the RSS feed, you can than import those feeds into your board using the Feed Post Bot. You can setup different feeds per category and import them to separate forums on your board. You might even want to define a different user per forum/feed,

This has some limitations though: the formatting on Wordpress won't be perfectly copied, you won't have any replies and you won't have the current userbase. But perhaps you can import the users separately.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-

Return to “phpBB Discussion”