Using php3.2 password hash in php3.0.x

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
zebedee99

Using php3.2 password hash in php3.0.x

Post by zebedee99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Not sure where best to post this. I run a forum that is still based on php3.0.x. I know, I know, but more than half of the code is actually custom / modded, so I'm unlikely to ever rebuild it on php3.2. It runs on php7 (yes, had to mod it a fair bit for that too).

Question is: I've never changed anything about password hashing. I'd like the forum to use the more secure hashes available in more recent php3.1.x or 3.2.x i.e. to use bcrypt to be more secure than the php3.0.x phpass salted md5 hash. The passwords in the database currently all have prefix $H$ (which indicates the salted md5 hash).

I'm hoping I can just bring in the password manager folders php 3.2 and then put in new versions of the appropriate functions within files... anyone know what would be involved? Anyone can help?

AmigoJack

Re: Using php3.2 password hash in php3.0.x

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 am

zebedee99 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:22 pm
just bring in the password manager folders php 3.2
Files in there reference /phpbb/config/ so you'd also need to copy those at least. Also this is not a PHP thing, but instead related to phpBB.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Using php3.2 password hash in php3.0.x

Post by Mick » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 am

Being as support for 3.0 has ended I'm going to lock this. If you need help upgrading to 3.2 please post in 3.2 support where we will be able to help you.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”