Banning someone via Computer address

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
greekgrl

Banning someone via Computer address

Post by greekgrl »

Hi,

Can I ban someone via Computer address versus IP ? If so, can you please guide me to how to do this.

thank you,
GG
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Banning someone via Computer address

Post by KevC »

What do you mean by the 'computer address'?

It might be better to explain the bigger problem rather than how you want to solve it as there might be a better way. Banning is often ineffective.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Banning someone via Computer address

Post by stevemaury »

She means the MAC address.

A web site cannot see a user's device's MAC address. In fact, a MAC address is part of the low-level network stack and is not propagated from one subnet to another.

The MAC address, by TCP/IP standards, is never communicated outside of the local-area network to which it pertains -- routers beyond that LAN don't even get the information you're trying to record. So, no.

It would be theoretically possible if phpBB were running on an internal network (intranet), but then an IP ban would be just as effective, assuming no DHCP.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”