Adding Topic Tags/Hashtags

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Yorkermiles
Name: Miles

Adding Topic Tags/Hashtags

Post by Yorkermiles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 am

Can you add topic tags to a forum post or topic such as Twitter hashtags or similar to improve SEO?

AmigoJack

Re: Adding Topic Tags/Hashtags

Post by AmigoJack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 am

Yorkermiles wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 am
improve SEO
Optimizations can rarely be improved.

I think you don' understand how the internet works: a (hash)tag's purpose is to issue a search query for all articles/posts that contain such one simply by clicking on it. A traditional search also only focuses on words - just add the words to your post that you want to be found (just like I did with "traditional" and "purpose").
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Yorkermiles
Name: Miles

Post by Yorkermiles » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Including a hashtag with your posts helps to categorise content for your audience.
Makes searching on a forum, for example, a lot more specific than keywords, as it focuses on content, as opposed to actual words and sentences.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 am

Yorkermiles wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 pm
Including a hashtag with your posts helps to categorise content for your audience.
No - it always results in (as I wrote) a search query. (Hash)Tags are no filter. Also this only applies to where categories make sense - and in a BBS they hardly do, as you have forums and topics for categorizing things to begin with.
Yorkermiles wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 pm
it focuses on content, as opposed to actual words and sentences.
That would mean that words are no content. No, this point of view is flawed, and probably influenced by SEO voodoo already.

Just use a link like #hashtag whenever you feel the need of a (hash)tag and you'll see the outcome is exactly what I explained AND how they work elsewhere (you'll figure out which parts to change to fit your needs). You could also show me ONE website which uses (hash)tags that don't result in searches - so far I haven't encountered any. Face it: (hash)tags are just one more word in your content (aside from the advantage of presenting all (hash)tags on one page to choose from, but so far that's not your main interest).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”