Trransferring Files To New Host

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
EA117

Re: Trransferring Files To New Host

Post by EA117 »

aeneas1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 pm i'm wondering how it will handle attachment files? when i backed things up the first time around, i didn't uncheck "treat files without extensions as ascii files" in filezilla's transfer settings, as a result...
That's a concern even for files which do have an extension; I have set & would recommend setting the transfer to "Binary" for all, rather than "auto" of any kind. Transferring "text files" which are actually .php, .htaccess, etc., via binary will still deliver them correctly, because between Windows and/or Linux x86 systems you don't need any of the "transfer text between dissimilar systems" that ASCII mode achieves. ASCII mode can only get you into trouble or create unexpected results for these cases.

I haven't tried to transfer anything in actual ASCII mode in quite some time; I wonder if maybe that's part of the conditions for the symptoms you're observing. These aren't the symptoms I would expect (it would usually be corrupt files, as you experienced earlier), but maybe the particular FTP server has a unique reaction to the ASCII transfer. You might try switching to binary-only and see if the issue even continues to exist.

Filezilla lets you enable verbose logging in the "Debug" section of Settings. The additional info is going to appear in the normal log window. If the issue still occurs, I'd start with a known-empty directory and then focus on one of the files that prompted for overwrite, and see what actions occurred related to that file within the debug log.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Nick225 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:39 pm My database is 400 Gig.
400 ?? Is this a typo?
The largest database I have ever had with phpBB was around 8 GB (including search tables) and optimising that was a PITA.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Holger

Post by Holger »

warmweer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 am
Nick225 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:39 pm My database is 400 Gig.
400 ?? Is this a typo?
The largest database I have ever had with phpBB was around 8 GB (including search tables) and optimising that was a PITA.
ZIP-compressed my DB is 650MB for a 15 year old forum with 88,000 users and 1 million posts.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Holger wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am ZIP-compressed my DB is 650MB for a 15 year old forum with 88,000 users and 1 million posts.
That's about the size of my current board (including the search tables). Just checked and my October full backup is 590 MB zipped (I normally trunctate the search tables, but I see that the August backup is only 450 MB so I probably forgot to do that).
The 8GB board was a board I was asked to update from 3.1 to 3.2. It wasn't even compressed and the owner had never deleted anything. Half of the board consisted of old stored messages in a private invisible category. Optimising that constantly failed. Eventually I decided to split that board into 2. It took me 3 or 4 days to split it properly, eventually doing it by removing the search tables, exporting, importing in a second board and then removing the storage from one, and only leaving the storage in the other.
The public board (optimised) was then only 1,something GB.
I wonder what the hosting specifications are (that can cater) for a 400 GB Board. :?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

My bad.. 400 MB zipped file. :)
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

My bad.. 400 MB zipped file. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”