Absolute Newbie! Is PhpBB for me?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
omneox

Absolute Newbie! Is PhpBB for me?

Post by omneox » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi guys,

I am thinking of starting a forum but have zero knowledge in programming. I've done some research on the web and came across claims that MyBB and BBpress are more user-friendly than PhpBB for beginners. Is it true? I've played around with phpBB changing the themes but haven't really explored beyond that. Can I use PhpBB without any knowledge in programming?

Thanks!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Absolute Newbie! Is PhpBB for me?

Post by Mick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 pm

omneox wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm
Can I use PhpBB without any knowledge in programming?
Yes, absolutely.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 pm

omneox wrote:
I've done some research on the web and came across claims that MyBB and BBpress are more user-friendly than PhpBB for beginners. Is it true?
User-friendlyness is relative. If you just use the out-of-the-box product then phpBB is slightly more complicated than others, but that is inherent to the amount of features and is something most get used to very quickly. If you look at the numbers (boards installed) then phpBB doesn't seem too frightening for the internet community.
I think it really boils down to what you want in terms of features and adaptability, and phpBB is there right at the top. I'ld even say that most commercial forumsoftware play second fiddle to phpBB (and a couple of other free forums)
omneox wrote:
I've played around with phpBB changing the themes but haven't really explored beyond that. Can I use PhpBB without any knowledge in programming?
Certainly, the extension system facilitates installation of extra features without having to code yourself, many extra styles are available, some of which can be adapted to your personal taste with (relative) ease. You don't need any programming knowledge to start at all, unless you consider typing part of programming ;)

You can always try out a couple of forum packages (all have pros and cons) at no cost (set it up on your PC - look in the Support Section - Knowledge Base for some info on personal webservers). It's really up to you to decide based on what you really need but you can't go wrong with phpBB (nor with MyBB for that matter, nor with a couple of others I won't name). One factor you should also take into account is support - have a look around on the support boards of the forumsoftwares and you'll be able to exclude quite a few.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm

One point to add, no matter what software you decide on, is - DO NOT USE YOUR HOST'S "ONE CLICK" INSTALL. These are prone to numerous problems which can make life difficult.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Nick225

Post by Nick225 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

david63 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm
One point to add, no matter what software you decide on, is - DO NOT USE YOUR HOST'S "ONE CLICK" INSTALL. These are prone to numerous problems which can make life difficult.
True. Had issue with the godaddy's package. It was easy to install but the database prefix is strange. So stay away from it. Just download and install. Not that complicated.

No matter what package you end up selecting, you'll become an expert in it the minute you start playing with the codes.
I have never tried another system so I have no clue how complex they are.
phpbb2 code was easier to mess around with. I had fun with it... added lots of custom pages without following the proper rules of separating the php codes from the templates. Just too complicated.
Made an effort once and wrote one mod. I don't remember if I submitted it for approval; but a few guys installed it anyway. I knew it wouldn't pass the test although I was trying to comply with the coding rules.

This is what prevents me from creating mods and extensions. I had great custom features at my site but the coding style doesn't follow normal phpbb procedure.
I find it easier to writeg 1 php file with everything in it. Done. :)
(example: the SkanContest: http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/slams ... kanCanTest)

Don't do that though. Learn the proper way of coding phpbb.

Now getting used to phpbb3. Not a fun of the html codes like <!--- IF bla blah --->. Would have rather loved a human readable code like twig that looks more like pseudo code. But hey, I am in ... so.
Get phpbb and learn how to apply mods and extensions. All will be fine.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

bottom line is that you never have to even look at the code if you don't want to.
you certainly do not have to know anything about coding if you don't want to.

probably the majority of phpbb users have no idea about coding etc.

just get hosting and a domain name.
get and learn how to use a good ftp program like filezilla ( you need to do this no matter what type of website you want to have. )
follow the instructions that come with phpbb and/or read them here. ( click on the relevant links in the drop down menu bar at the top of every page here at phpbb.com )

the basics are very simple;

1. download phpbb from here
2. unzip it
3. using ftp, upload the folder named phpBB3 to your hosting accoun.
4. using your hosting account cpanel, create a new blank database for phpbb to use ( make note of the database name/username/password )
5. go to yourdomain.com/phpBB3 and click on the install tab
6. fill in the blanks and click submit until it is finished

7. tadaaaaa, you are done and now have brand new phpbb bulletin board to play with.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Nick225

Post by Nick225 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm
just get hosting and a domain name.
get and learn how to use a good ftp program like filezilla ( you need to do this no matter what type of website you want to have. )

robert
Doesn't even need Filezilla or CoreFTP if he is using Cpanel. The file transfer on Cpanel is a zillion times faster than any FTP program I have ever used.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:32 pm

The right way to do it, is to use ftp soft like mentioned above. With cpanel file manager you may end up in a mess and waste more time later to fix the issues.
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

Nick225

Post by Nick225 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm

GanstaZ wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:32 pm
The right way to do it, is to use ftp soft like mentioned above. With cpanel file manager you may end up in a mess and waste more time later to fix the issues.
Cpanel will unzip your extension file in 3 seconds where FTP takes 6 minutes.
And try to ftp a new phpbb3 forum to your site. Takes for ever. With Cpanel FTP Manager, it's done in less than 1 minute. Can't believe it.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 pm

1 min may equal hours later, if cpanel manager will mess something up. Recommended way is to use ftp program. It's not about time, it's about quality.
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

Nick225

Post by Nick225 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 pm

GanstaZ wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 pm
1 min may equal hours later, if cpanel manager will mess something up. Recommended way is to use ftp program. It's not about time, it's about quality.
ok .. So far, ran into 1 problem. The folder permission setting changed to 750 after disabling the site to restore a backup. That drove me crazy until I found out. Besides that, have not have any issue with the File Manager on Cpanel..
I'll keep your advice in mind.
Thanks

david63

Post by david63 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:59 pm

The point here is that sometimes cpanel will work, but unfortunately for the vast majority of users/hosts it does not and unzipping via cpanel does not always work.

As I say if it works then all well and good, but if it doesn't then, as proven by many topics on this board, it creates no end of problems and that is why most people on here do not recommend it.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

omneox

Post by omneox » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 am

warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 pm
If you look at the numbers (boards installed) then phpBB doesn't seem too frightening for the internet community.
That makes sense. I've just learnt how to adjust the height and width of logo and also added a favicon, and so far it doesn't seem too complicated. But I've seen some people complain about difficulty in adding Mods. I don't know what exactly Mods are but since you've assured me that using phpBB doesn't require knowledge in programming, I'm assuming and hope I won't have much difficulty with Mods.
warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 pm
One factor you should also take into account is support - have a look around on the support boards of the forumsoftwares and you'll be able to exclude quite a few.
Yes, I've been on support boards of other forum softwares and excluded quite a few of because some of their volunteers and developers themselves seemed disinterested with developing the software any further.

omneox

Post by omneox » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 am

david63 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm
You mean not to use apps in cpanel like Softaculous to install phpBB on my domain?

david63

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:01 am

omneox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 am
You mean not to use apps in cpanel like Softaculous to install phpBB on my domain?
Yes
David

Return to “phpBB Discussion”