Absolute Newbie! Is PhpBB for me?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
warmweer

Re: Absolute Newbie! Is PhpBB for me?

Post by warmweer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 am

omneox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 am
That makes sense. I've just learnt how to adjust the height and width of logo and also added a favicon, and so far it doesn't seem too complicated. But I've seen some people complain about difficulty in adding Mods. I don't know what exactly Mods are but since you've assured me that using phpBB doesn't require knowledge in programming, I'm assuming and hope I won't have much difficulty with Mods.
"Mods" in the sense here is short for modifications (it can also be short for Moderators) in the strict sense that phpBB- files are modified by the user. This was the way to get extra features or different behaviour with phpBB 2.0 and 3.0. Many "mods" were made but people had to edit the phpBB files according to instructions, or (later) using AutoMOd which could install the modification if it was written following some specifications and rules. The problem was that users still had to modify files and mistakes happen, broken boards, perhaps lost data, etc..
As of phpBB 3.1 a new and safer system is in place and the use of modifications as such is discouraged. The new system uses extensions which is a "plug and play" system. The extension writers do need a better understanding of phpBB-code than in the old mod-days but these extension are checked by an Extension Team which validates them (or not). All a user has to do, is to put the extension files in place.

So, specifically regarding your question: you won't have difficulties with "mods" since strictly speaking there aren't any anymore (there is still some custom coding possible but that is usually for personal use).

Take your time and read through the "Extension" Forums to get an idea on what is possible.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

.m.

Post by .m. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 am

Edit: missed above response by warmweer

--- below message can be ignored ---
... some people complain about difficulty in adding Mods
recent versions of phpBB use Extensions & adding them is very easy.

Extension is packed in a zip archive & that needs to be extracted to
correct location of your board's files server. Then extension appears
on the Board admin panel , it can be activated & used with ease.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:23 am

omneox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 am
You mean not to use apps in cpanel like Softaculous to install phpBB on my domain?
As per david63 (and others): use only files you have downloaded from phpBB.com. That's the only way you know for sure that the files haven't been modified to suit the Host's 1 click installs. It sounds easy, that 1 Click install, but chances are you'll have problems updating or upgrading. FTPing with the host CPanel is also taking a risk (wrong directory and file permissions resulting is failed transfers and/or incomplete filewrites,especially when autoupdating).
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:09 pm

And the one-click versions of phpBB are seldom up-to-date.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

omneox

Post by omneox » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 am

warmweer wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 am
omneox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 am
That makes sense. I've just learnt how to adjust the height and width of logo and also added a favicon, and so far it doesn't seem too complicated. But I've seen some people complain about difficulty in adding Mods. I don't know what exactly Mods are but since you've assured me that using phpBB doesn't require knowledge in programming, I'm assuming and hope I won't have much difficulty with Mods.
"Mods" in the sense here is short for modifications (it can also be short for Moderators) in the strict sense that phpBB- files are modified by the user. This was the way to get extra features or different behaviour with phpBB 2.0 and 3.0. Many "mods" were made but people had to edit the phpBB files according to instructions, or (later) using AutoMOd which could install the modification if it was written following some specifications and rules. The problem was that users still had to modify files and mistakes happen, broken boards, perhaps lost data, etc..
As of phpBB 3.1 a new and safer system is in place and the use of modifications as such is discouraged. The new system uses extensions which is a "plug and play" system. The extension writers do need a better understanding of phpBB-code than in the old mod-days but these extension are checked by an Extension Team which validates them (or not). All a user has to do, is to put the extension files in place.

So, specifically regarding your question: you won't have difficulties with "mods" since strictly speaking there aren't any anymore (there is still some custom coding possible but that is usually for personal use).

Take your time and read through the "Extension" Forums to get an idea on what is possible.
Got it..Thanks for the detailed explanation!

omneox

Post by omneox » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:53 am

warmweer wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:23 am
omneox wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 am
You mean not to use apps in cpanel like Softaculous to install phpBB on my domain?
FTPing with the host CPanel is also taking a risk (wrong directory and file permissions resulting is failed transfers and/or incomplete filewrites,especially when autoupdating).
Do you mean not to make changes to files using filemanager in Cpanel? I use Cyberduck for FTP.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 am

yes, using your hosting control panel ( cpanel or otherwise ) is not a good idea for editing any of phpbb files. it will corrupt the files and you will have errors later on and not know why.

just use the standard tools to work on websites: ftp and text editors, and you will be much happier in the long run.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”