Search Engine

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
SickSquirrel

Search Engine

Post by SickSquirrel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:08 am

I’m researching search engines and see this site listed for using Sphinx. I’m wondering how it works out for you and if you have any issues with it. Obviously you don’t want to post problems in public! But months of research have left me with Sphinx as the best. Just looking for confirmation.

I was planning on using Wordpress with Sphinx but now that I’m here, I’m wondering if phpBB is a good idea. I first used it in 1994 and only had one issue/hack, updated to 1.2? and you issued a correction quickly. But my site was nailed good though daily backups were available. That was around 1998 I think 💭.

Anyway, Sphinx a recommendation, and any advantages to phpBB over Wordpress? Both have categories on sidebars, both have category posts, both have search engines and both use MySQL db. Themes are doable, both can use Sphinx and I don’t see anything major causing concern.

Wow. Thought I’d sleep with a free mind. I’m sure I’ll be mulling over the advantages of one over the other.
Amnesia is ... aw, hell, I can’t remember the quote.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Search Engine

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:21 am

cant speak to the search engine questions. however, wordpress and phpbb are two completely different things.

phpbb is a bulletin board for having discussions about different topics, wordpress is a blog with very limited comments and/ or a cms for creating web pages.

they really have nothing in common.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:18 am

What exactly is Sphinx?

Like mentioned, phpBB is a bulletin board website platform for lack of a better term. Where's WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS). WordPres' primary objective are standard issue websites and blogs. Though there are a handful of plugins to make it into a social media platform of sorts.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:09 am

Sphinx is the search engine that phpbb.com uses here. you can install it on your board if you wish. from what I understand it is not worth it unless you have a very large, very busy board like phpbb.com

robert

John connor

Post by John connor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Where do I get it?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:09 pm

first result on google "sphinx search engine": http://sphinxsearch.com/
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you. Like I said , I first used phpBB in-1994 and I know they’re different. Wordpress can be a discussion board as comments are allowed.

Basically they both have posts and others can comment.

LumpyTush, you say it’s not worth it to use it on a small site. How so? Both are no cost, both are MySQL dB, both have a subject and post area. Both have sidebars and are similar in backend operation

Am I missing something ? Sphinx lists this site as s referral. I came here to check it out and realized I had another option.

I’d need better reasons to skip phpBB than ‘it’s not worth it’ since I like it a lot.

Funny thing: haven’t been here in over a year and Lumpy was my only listed person I followed Then you post and respond to me..... eerie music playing in the background!

John connor

Post by John connor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:47 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:09 pm
first result on google "sphinx search engine": http://sphinxsearch.com/
Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure on the proper search term and just Googling sphinx gave me Egypt results.

This looks like I need a VPS, and I only have a shared account at the moment. Figured if I could stream line my board a little more it would be worthwhile to implement.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm

SickSquirrel wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:43 pm
Thank you. Like I said , I first used phpBB in-1994 and I know they’re different. Wordpress can be a discussion board as comments are allowed.
You probably didn't use phpBB in 1994, as the start of the project was in 2000 😊
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:57 pm

On a point of interest re Sphinx - is there any saving in respect of disc space by using Sphinx as opposed to using the in built phpBB search which creates, in some cases, very large tables in the database?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm

I did not say anything about not using phpbb or wp . I was talking about the sphinx search engine not being of much benefit unless you have a very large board.

and, just because you can allow comments on a blog post does not make it a discussion in the same sense as a bulletin board/discussion board like phpbb.

robert

SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm
I did not say anything about not using phpbb or wp . I was talking about the sphinx search engine not being of much benefit unless you have a very large board.

and, just because you can allow comments on a blog post does not make it a discussion in the same sense as a bulletin board/discussion board like phpbb.

robert
Right, but why not use it on a smaller site? I’m not sure what the difference would be. Sphinx lists tons of sites using it and many are smaller.

To me both software programs are the same in that a post is created and discussion or comments ensue. Similar backends. I need a reason besides ‘it’s not worth it’ to make my decision. I know you’re a discussion forum but my blog will be one, too, if needed. Hopefully people will search and not comment, or email me with comments or questions.

And, if I go with y’all and Sphinx, which section do I post in for instructions on changing the code from phpBB to Sphinx? I know I need to change link code and need to do it right. I haven’t found out how to get the url yet. I don’t want to post in the wrong place.

SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 am

Paul wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm
SickSquirrel wrote:
You probably didn't use phpBB in 1994, as the start of the project was in 2000 😊
Hmm, I’ll research on the Wayback Machine. I’d swear I used this before 2000.

SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 am

SickSquirrel wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 am
Paul wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm
SickSquirrel wrote:
Hmm, I’ll research on the Wayback Machine. I’d swear I used this before 2000.
1998 was first logging on WM. I may have used another program but can’t remember.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:01 am

what is "WM"?

https://www.phpbb.com/about/history/

the point about installing and learning how to use and configure sphinx is just that. you have to download, have the access needed to actually install it,
learn how to configure it, etc. etc.

until and unless your board gets really huge, there is no benefit to using it. It wouldn't hurt anything but you would also not get the benefits of having it.

and, once again, wp is not a discussion board . you can allow comments to each post you make but it is not really a disucssion back and forth.

they are two different things.

wp and phpbb have nothing to do with each other, they are different programs developed completely different organizations for completely different purposes.

having said that, you can certainly install them both at the same time on your website.

that will allow you to create a blog about whatever you want and then have a robust discussion board/forum for your blog viewers and you to discuss the topics you post about in your blog.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”