One board in multiple categories

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
candell

One board in multiple categories

Post by candell »

Hi

I am building a website for a charity that has many small 'offices' over the country. Part of the site needs to feature a message board.

The visitors must be able to search for the same board from multiple avenues so for example of an office supporting dementia in a Nottingham could be found

categories > dementia
a-z > dementia
location > nottingham

Can phpBB do this or would they have to have three separate boards, one in each category?

Essentially we want the same board but fond from many different paths so the same board should be in many categories.

If it's possible, how would the url work for this, would it just take the first so in my example above the url would be

forum.webste.com/categories/dementia

regardless of the direction they took to find it?

Thanks for any help
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: One board in multiple categories

Post by KevC »

You need to have the structure of category > forum > (if necessary) subforum > topics
so you can't really have multiple ways to get to the same thing. The URL would look like it does on this site

Your biggest problem is likely to be the sheer size of what you're suggesting. It looks like you want multiple conditions or diseases and then each one of those will have multiple locations inside it. You'll have an enormous number of forums and when you get over 1000 (might sound a lot but it will multiply very quickly with your idea) then you'll run in to problems with server load and the ability to just run it in an organised fashion.

We see that kind of idea get mentioned a lot but they rarely actually get made as the size and manageability just doesn't work.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
candell

Re: One board in multiple categories

Post by candell »

Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated especially considering the time of year.

There will be around 200 boards in total once all are created, but we'd expect about 5 separate entry points for each considering the location, condition and other possible structures.

I was hoping to not have to build anything myself and use a popular message board system but I guess it's not something a traditional board system does.

I'll build a custom board using a tagging system, I can then emulate a structure using these tags which will achieve what we want.

Thanks again

Return to “phpBB Discussion”