Ideas on topics for forum?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Linuxing

Ideas on topics for forum?

Post by Linuxing » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:53 pm

I always wanted to create a forum but I never knew about what topic and I did not have a good idea. Now having known phpBB, I would like to create one and I am looking for ideas.

I would like them to share their experience and if they have a forum, comment on what topics they are dealing with or what their purpose is.

The idea is that the person who is in my same situation, find a valid reason to have a forum and venture to create and experiment.

Thank you!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Ideas on topics for forum?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 am

why do you want to start a forum/board if you do not have an idea of what the subject is going to be?

you need to find a subject matter that has not been done to death and/or that you can provide more/better content about.

otherwise it will be just like a million other boards and will have no content and no members etc.

then, what is the point?

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Linuxing

Post by Linuxing » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 am
why do you want to start a forum/board if you do not have an idea of what the subject is going to be?

you need to find a subject matter that has not been done to death and/or that you can provide more/better content about.

otherwise it will be just like a million other boards and will have no content and no members etc.

then, what is the point?

robert
Thanks for your opinion Robert! You're right!

I'm looking for a good idea that not talk in other forums or that minorities are talking about the subject.

What do you think of an idea where we all learn English that today is very necessary in society?

I want to start studying it and maybe I was thinking of doing something that we all learn from each other.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:26 am

hey , go for it. it shouldn't cost very much. hosting is very cheap, a domain name is very cheap.

don't do it the free way because if it does do well, you will lose it all when you have to upgrade to a paid hosting account etc.

if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost much.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 am

I agree with Lumpy. Starting a forum on a subject you're not really passionate about is a very bad idea.

When you're starting out you need content. Lots and lots of content. If you're not really interested in the subject you won't have a clue what to post about and if you can't do that no one will ever join.

Almost every subject you can think of has been done to death. Immediately you can cross off any sport or sporting team, locations, hobbies, video games or software, tv and films, music, bands and any brand (cars, clothes etc) and no doubt many others. That doesn't leave an awful lot left, unless what you're passionate about is brand new in one of those categories I mentioned. For example, I started a car forum several years ago for a model that was just about to come out and I'd ordered one so I was the only forum out there for it and I knew a lot about it as I was getting one. In those instances you can do very well very quickly but they don't come up that often.

Getting a forum going is really hard work. You need to be posting content every day, you need to find places you can put the link in your sig without spamming other people's sites and if you're lucky you'll have 10-20 people after a year. Not a lot but it's a start.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Linuxing

Post by Linuxing » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:54 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:26 am
hey , go for it. it shouldn't cost very much. hosting is very cheap, a domain name is very cheap.

don't do it the free way because if it does do well, you will lose it all when you have to upgrade to a paid hosting account etc.

if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost much.

robert
Thank you so much for encouraging me to do it Robert! Your recommendation is very useful! Undoubtedly the work of a few hours could be nothing in a few seconds.

I am still studying the subject to be discussed or how to approach it and taking notes about the different ideas and looking for what to do to stand out from others.

And finally, if you never try, I will not get any results.

Linuxing

Post by Linuxing » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:01 am

KevC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 am
I agree with Lumpy. Starting a forum on a subject you're not really passionate about is a very bad idea.

When you're starting out you need content. Lots and lots of content. If you're not really interested in the subject you won't have a clue what to post about and if you can't do that no one will ever join.
This is exactly what worries me, not having to publish. I agree with everything you say, that's why I have not created it so far, but I'm going to look for a topic and go slowly taking notes about what publications I would make; this could help me have a more realistic perspective of the situation.
KevC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 am
Almost every subject you can think of has been done to death. Immediately you can cross off any sport or sporting team, locations, hobbies, video games or software, tv and films, music, bands and any brand (cars, clothes etc) and no doubt many others. That doesn't leave an awful lot left, unless what you're passionate about is brand new in one of those categories I mentioned. For example, I started a car forum several years ago for a model that was just about to come out and I'd ordered one so I was the only forum out there for it and I knew a lot about it as I was getting one. In those instances you can do very well very quickly but they don't come up that often.

Getting a forum going is really hard work. You need to be posting content every day, you need to find places you can put the link in your sig without spamming other people's sites and if you're lucky you'll have 10-20 people after a year. Not a lot but it's a start.
I understand what you say, but if I see the experience of other forums, forums of the same theme have emerged even though, they have managed to be featured forums on the rest. I'm sure it will not be an easy job, but you have to study what is missing from others and try to start with that.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! Undoubtedly, it is very helpful and I will take it into account.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 am

You could bet on a TV show that's coming out. If it ends up having a 10 year run and you got on board right at the beginning it could turn out really well... unfortunately most shows get cancelled pretty quickly :lol:

I was kicking myself for not making a forum for the TV show "Community" in 2009. I prepared the website and everything before the show started, then I decided against publishing it. Of course, it ended up being one of those shows that has a fanatical/cult following and went for 6 or 7 years. Oh well :lol:
Customisations Team Member

Return to “phpBB Discussion”