Export database localhost to hosting

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Linuxing

Export database localhost to hosting

Post by Linuxing »

I was testing the forum in a free hosting and I remembered that some people usually insert advertising in the pages. This is fine, but if later I want to move to one payment? I will have the modifications in my database or files of the hosting.

For the files you can check with the checksum and it is very simple.

For the database How is it checked if the hosting staff or anyone else has inserted malicious code?

I thought about installing the forum on localhost, making the necessary modifications and exporting the database with the changes made. The problem is that if the forum is in use, this could erase the users or leave some publication.

How do I know what was changed in the database on localhost compared to the hosting database? This comparison should not include users or recent posts.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Export database localhost to hosting

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the point is, if you are serious about having a bulletin board then don't start one on the free sites. you can not keep your posts/members etc. when you move to a paid host because that is all in the database and the free board hosts rarely give you a database backup.

hosting is so cheap now days there is really no reason not to start with a small inexpensive hosting package somewhere and grow as you need.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
david63

Post by david63 »

Linuxing wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm if the hosting staff or anyone else has inserted malicious code
It is highly unlikely that hosting staff will insert malicious code into a client's database - especially if they want to stay in business. As for others then that should never happen if the hosts have the server security set up correctly- and again not a good way to stay in business.
Linuxing wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm How do I know what was changed in the database on localhost compared to the hosting database?
Only by comparing the two databases, starting with the number of records in each table as a guide.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Linuxing wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm I was testing the forum in a free hosting and I remembered that some people usually insert advertising in the pages. This is fine, but if later I want to move to one payment? I will have the modifications in my database or files of the hosting.
If it's free host you better find out what is required to obtain an export of the database. Typically they remove the ability to export from the ACP. If they will give you a copy it's usually for some ridiculous cost. Furthermore if the forum becomes popular or whatever changing it to it's own domain has it's own issues.
For the files you can check with the checksum and it is very simple.
You would not use files provided by them even if they provided them. Download them from phpbb.com.
For the database How is it checked if the hosting staff or anyone else has inserted malicious code?
phpBB is going to expect that certain values are in certain tables/columns. While it may be possible to manipulate that is unlikely without working within the limits of phpBB. Off the top of my head one thing I can think of is creating a BBcode and then utilizing it in posts.
How do I know what was changed in the database on localhost compared to the hosting database? This comparison should not include users or recent posts.
Google is your friend, search for "mysql compare tables"
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

You can also disable the board while manipulating the database locally.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”