IP logging?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
NormieGoy

IP logging?

Post by NormieGoy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm

I'am getting serious concerns about the privacy on phpbb3.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.png
Is it collecting ip logs? Beacuse of what i see they are collecting ip logs of all posts. Can someone please explain it to me?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: IP logging?

Post by KevC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Just like (I think) every other forum software out there, the IP you are on at the time of posting is stored.

It's not unusual and you can't really tell much from it. It's used mainly to allow the admin to see if someone is using multiple accounts or it can be used for banning.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

NormieGoy

Post by NormieGoy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

KevC wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm
Just like (I think) every other forum software out there, the IP you are on at the time of posting is stored.

It's not unusual and you can't really tell much from it. It's used mainly to allow the admin to see if someone is using multiple accounts or it can be used for banning.
So the phpBB itself cannot see the ip logs? Only the site admin? Sorry to bother you.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 pm

I can't speak for how a specific board has their own site set up but by default admins and mods can see the IP of the poster.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 pm

besides which there is very little danger if someone knows the IP you are using when you post. chances are that it will be different the next time you visit the board. and besides that, it is highly unlikely that anyone can find out anything about you from knowing your IP address.

my IP is: 104.60.149.147

you can't find me or anything about me other than the ISP I use and maybe get within 100 miles of where I actually live.

so, it is not really anything to worry about as far as privacy goes.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

NormieGoy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

So the phpBB itself cannot see the ip logs? Only the site admin? Sorry to bother you.
phpbb.com can not see ip or membership information from boards that are not hosted by phpbb.com. The only people who can see that sort of information are the admins of the individual board concerned.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Also, the access logs of EVERY web site in the world record IPs, type of browser used and more.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 am

NormieGoy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm
I'am getting serious concerns about the privacy on phpbb3.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.png
Is it collecting ip logs? Beacuse of what i see they are collecting ip logs of all posts. Can someone please explain it to me?
Don't let this whole new privacy fad get in your head. IP Addresses are collected by every site, service, and server that you visit or go on. Discord themselves actually collect your IP Address when you access their systems... and even when you access that image that you posted. There is nothing to worry about, and those that pursue this "protect your IP address" non-sense really don't know the technical aspect of what an IP Address is, how they're assigned, how they work, etc.

To further prove Lumpy's point, at the time of this post's writing, my public IP Address is 72.65.52.228. You'll find my ISP as well as a township that I'm near. Big deal.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:28 am

LaxSlash1993 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 am
There is nothing to worry about
I would agree whilst most users are still on IPv4 but when (if?) IPv6 starts being used then it could be a different story.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

NormieGoy

Post by NormieGoy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you all!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”