Why not creating a forum category for member based support?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
deepndark

Why not creating a forum category for member based support?

Post by deepndark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 am

Why not creating a forum category for member based support, whereas all the members can help eachothers, while the developers come back from a two weeks long vacation? It could be an extension, style or general etc. related.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Why not creating a forum category for member based support?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:36 am

If you are talking about your board, then you can just go ahead and do it however you wish.
If you are talking about this board, it already is exactly what you are talking about.

the whole point of this board is for phpbb users to support other phpbb users. having the developers/staff around to chime in is just a bonus.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

deepndark

Post by deepndark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:19 am

I meant we'd have a category where we could request help related to extensions as example, without a need to post in the official support threads.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:11 am

there is no "official" support threads. ( they are topics not threads) .

you can do that in the extensions support topic, that is what they are for.

you can ask for any other support for the standard phpbb in the normal support topics, that is what they are for.

you are asking for something that is already the whole point of this board and the way it already works.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

deepndark

Post by deepndark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 am

I've been told to post only inside the official support topics, but then it can be a sucky situation if the developer isn't there for weeks in row.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:56 am

being told to post in the extension's support topic does not mean that you will only get help from the extension author. the point is to keep all the topics and discussions about a particular extension in one place.

so, even If I could help you with an extension, it makes no sense for you to ask for that help in the basic support forum/topic. you go to the extension topic and I go to the extension topic and there we would have a discussion about that extension and your problem etc.

just like if you have a question or problem with styles or a particular style you go to the styles forum and the topic for that particluar style.

you may get help from many of the members and/or just the author of the style.

you had a problem with your car's transmission you would not go to the dealership and expect to get help in the showroom or in the engine department.
you would ask about transmissions in the transmission department. however, while you were there, the person that helps you could actually be a engine mechanic that happens to know how to fix your transmission problem.

see?

robert

deepndark

Post by deepndark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:50 am

Those extensions that have been released over the database have locked topics and only offer support over the dedicated addresses, not always here at all. And as the official topics for alpha releases won't be prompted to the top, there's very little people knowing I've been seeked for the help.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 am

I do agree that the integration of Titanaia (CDB) does not show up in the new posts for the extension support topics.

You could always post in the Bug Tracker then maybe something will be done although I an fairly sure that this has been raised before and there are some valid reasons why it is not done.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:11 am

deepndark wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:50 am
Those extensions that have been released over the database have locked topics and only offer support over the dedicated addresses
Every released extension has it's own dedicated support area, when you visit a extension in the extension database, you can see a tab called Discussion / Support:
screen75.jpg
screen75.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 538 times
david63 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 am
there are some valid reasons why it is not done.
I remember vague it is because the titania database is not fully integrated in phpBB - but you'll find a link forum in the extension category at the very top
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “phpBB Discussion”