Disadvantages of phpBB Program

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
abdu7maan

Re: Disadvantages of phpBB Program

Post by abdu7maan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:14 pm

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Just for the record, the library that runs the BBCode engine (TextFormatter), allows use of certain HTML tags via plugin, it just needs to be enabled, I'm using something similar in my Markdown extension.
What's the addition to do that
Welcome to my site :
anime
https://www.anime-toon.net
:oops:

abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:21 pm

One of the most important problems of dynamic links repeating content I hope to find solutions to this problem:
Two links to the same subject imposed one of them is not indexed is there a solution to this problem
https://forum.gm-world.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=17
https://forum.gm-world.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12
:cry:
Welcome to my site :
anime

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:22 pm

abdu7maan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:14 pm
What's the addition to do that
Creating an extension should be the way to go, and I could probably add support for it in my Markdown extension.

If you're interested in extension development to do it yourself, it should look something like:

Event: core.text_formatter_s9e_configure_after

Code: Select all

$event['configurator']->HTMLElements;
The HTML security is handled by the library.
abdu7maan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:21 pm
One of the most important problems of dynamic links repeating content I hope to find solutions to this problem:
Two links to the same subject imposed one of them is not indexed is there a solution to this problem
I don't think that's a problem, both links have a canonical link as meta tag, so search engines know that both are the same link.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I understand that you are tying to be helpful.
however, you must realize that all of this is just your opinion of what should be in a bulletin board software.

phpbb is a bulletin board, it is not a word processor, it is not a cms, it is not a blog. from the beginning it was designed to be basic. however, if you want things other than basic text communication, the developers and users have created many many MODs and now extensions that will fulfill those requirements easily.

so, bottom line is that if phpbb does not have the bloat that you require then you should think about finding a software that does.

also, keep in mind that phpbb has been and is ( as far as I know) the most used and popular bulletin board software in the world.

if it was so far behind I seriously doubt that it would be being installed and used by so many hundreds of thousands of users around the world.

as for the duplicate content , that is just not true. it used to be but google etc. learned how to deal with dynamic sites like phpbb years ago and they do not see that as duplicate content.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm

abdu7maan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:13 pm
this is why vbulletin Software is superior to other software
And at what price is vBulletin compared to phpBB?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Not sure I'd want to run software that is happy to allow a security risk like html.

By the way, if you think VB is much more superior, why not just go and use that instead?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 pm

david63 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm
abdu7maan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:13 pm
this is why vbulletin Software is superior to other software
And at what price is vBulletin compared to phpBB?
Does the program mean that user suggestions are ignored?
Welcome to my site :
anime

abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 pm

KevC wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:37 pm
Not sure I'd want to run software that is happy to allow a security risk like html.

By the way, if you think VB is much more superior, why not just go and use that instead?
Why not use the VB

vb5 The modern version of the programming method is very bad and unstable so far
The older version (vb3-vb4) is no longer supported by the company and does not support the recent releases of php7
Welcome to my site :
anime

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:56 pm

nobody is ignoring your suggestions.
if they were being ignored this discussion would not have lasted for several pages.

the point is that most of what you suggest is already available in the form of extensions that you /others can simply upload and install .
most people ( regardless of your opinion) do not want them on their boards. If they did, the downloads would be much more then they are.
and/or, the number people suggesting these things like you are, would be much much higher.

remember, the number of people that come here to this board is very small compared to the number of phpbb users that never have a problem that they need to come here for help with or to make suggestions.

so, what that leaves is for you to do just what you have done, make a suggestion. then you will see why it has not been done or will not be done etc.

then, at the end, you have the choice to use phpbb or not if it does not meet your requirements.

oh, and I would argue with the use of the word "disadvantage". I, and many others, find most of what you listed as advantages, not disadvantages.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 pm

abdu7maan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 pm
Does the program mean that user suggestions are ignored?
No - there is an Ideas forum where you can suggest changes to the core or, if those suggestions already exist, you can vote for them.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”