Future of phpBB while PHP loses traction to Javascript

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
tbssclub

Future of phpBB while PHP loses traction to Javascript

Post by tbssclub » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 pm

As the title states, I'm curious what the future of phpBB looks like while javascript frameworks start to push php developers further and further out. I've been a fan of phpbb for quite sometime but curious if there are any plans on change. The naming would definitely go against the grain. Reading an article got me thinking about my go-to forum software.
https://www.infoworld.com/article/31661 ... hare.html?

abdu7maan

Re: Future of phpBB while PHP loses traction to Javascript

Post by abdu7maan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:04 pm

I expect that there will be any development or change that the team seems convinced and satisfied with the status of the current script. Especially since the work on the program is voluntary work will not be a full-time team
Welcome to my site :
anime
https://www.anime-toon.net
:oops:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:19 pm

I am not a programmer at all. I thought javascript was on the way out.

anyway, php has become the web standard as far as I can tell. That article seems to have been written by a node.js fanboy who, while giving php credit for its benefits, always seems to believe that it is just old school and should go away in favor of the "newer" node.js
Also, he does not seem to be aware of how phpbb works as far as separating the php from the html etc.

I would not worry about php going anywhere any time soon.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 am

The article
  • has at least one factual error (communicating with the database is not done thru port 80, and likewise PHP can use other ports, too),
  • never mentions ECMAScript (standardization is an advantage),
  • mixes server and client usage (the title wants to compare Node.js only but quickly shifts into JavaScript entirely),
  • never mentions strange language features (6 in Javascript vs. 1 in PHP),
  • is published on a website which wants to execute 14 external scripts (all blocked by me) and already executed 39 script from itself (not one single script is needed to actually read the article - a good way to show the biggest downside of client side JS).
And yes, it sounds biased and having questionable experience.

Why don't you try it yourself? Is there a BBS that works with server side JS? Is both (server and board) easy to set up?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”