Possible bump topic issue

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
John connor
Name: Aaron

Possible bump topic issue

Post by John connor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:53 am

So I noticed an oddity on my board where if you bump a topic the posted time in the first post changes to that of the bump time. I don't think this is very good since the original post time gets changed thus you don't really know when the post was made from the begin with. Also, if you look at the screen shots, the topic has the original date on the index. In order to reproduce this you'll have to create a topic, then wait a day and bump it. Or just bump a day old topic I guess. I should note that this is a global announcement post. I'll try a regular post now and update tomorrow.

This is the screen shot from the index.
1.jpg
1.jpg (5.13 KiB) Viewed 668 times

This is the screen shot from the post.
2.jpg
2.jpg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 668 times

John connor

Re: Possible bump topic issue

Post by John connor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 am

Okay, I tried playing with an older regular post. I noticed that if you delete a post you can't then bump a topic. That might be another issue. The last post in that topic was in December of 2018. So I added a post, deleted and tried bumping.

Edit-

Okay, bumping a regular post doesn't seem to have this effect. It looks like it's just global announcements. It may also be regular announcements as well, but I'm not sure.

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 am

So there are two issues:

1) Bumping a global announcement will cause the post dates to mess up as shown in the images.

2) Deleting a post from a topic and then trying to bump the topic you can't.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:21 am

If you believe that this behaviour is incorrect then you are probably better off posting it in the Bug Tracker
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Hoping someone else would confirm.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:49 pm

John connor wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 am
1) Bumping a global announcement will cause the post dates to mess up as shown in the images.
I see that even with normal topics, and this appears supported by what's seen in code, too. The bump sets the post_time of the actual post, and the topic_last_post_time of the topic. But the topic_time of the topic remains set to when the topic was created. Which is perhaps important specifically for things like announcements; because the announcement expiration time, if specified, is relative to topic_time.

But both of these times are shown for me in the forum topic list, even for a normal non-announcement post. For example in this single-post topic from May, bumped today for the screen shot. Meaning the bumped post is also the only post in the topic, yet we're seeing confirmation of two different times (topic creation, versus last post time) shown in the display:

topic_date.png
John connor wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 am
2) Deleting a post from a topic and then trying to bump the topic you can't.
That doesn't happen for me, for what it's worth. On an existing May single-post topic I am allowed to bump (i.e. bump is available in the menu), I added a current reply. Now the option to bump was gone, as expected, due to the new reply. After a hard delete of that new reply, I was again immediately offered the bump option in the menu.

So for your observation I would have to assume that one of the bumping "rules" were still being violated. Meaning there was still a post new enough to disqualify for the bump interval. (Hard to envision if the bump option was available prior to delete.) Or after deletion, you were no longer the original poster nor the most recent poster. (Probably makes the most sense.) Or, you were expecting to bump a topic which had already been successfully bumped before. (But the bump option wouldn't have been available prior to delete, either.)

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I'll play with the bump thing and deleted posts again.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”