Any update on PHP 7.3 support?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
WelshPaul

Re: Any update on PHP 7.3 support?

Post by WelshPaul » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm

Mick wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:24 am
my host still offers PHP 5.6
Find a better host then.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Seriously?
Mick wrote:
and goes up to 7.3.
They realise people have different needs.
Latinus wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:25 pm
So ?
To what in particular?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm

WelshPaul wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm
Mick wrote:
my host still offers PHP 5.6
Find a better host then.
I find that a strange conclusion.
Because a host offers old versions of software (next to recent and uptodate versions of the same software), you're saying a better host should be sought?
My hosts offers php 5.5 all the way up to 7.3, and I use 5.6, 7.1 and 7.2 (the later only since about 6 weeks). The host currently only offers support for php 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 with 5.5, 5.6 and 7.0 being available only for old (existant) sites. Ample warning was given that there is no technical support for these versions and that 5.5 will be dropped in Februari 2020, 5.6 in July 2020.
AFAIAC that makes it an honest and considerate host.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Also, keep in mind that not every site can just update to php7, so while running on an older unsupported php version might not be the best idea, something it is just not possible to do otherwise ;).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Mick wrote:
my host still offers PHP 5.6 and goes up to 7.3.
One thing to be aware of is it may not be stock PHP. I know when I was on Plesk server many years ago an older version was available but it was managed by Plesk and they were actively adding security patches on their own.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:03 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:58 pm
One thing to be aware of is it may not be stock PHP. I know when I was on Plesk server many years ago an older version was available but it was managed by Plesk and they were actively adding security patches on their own.
In the case of my host, there were a couple of minor version updates, so that probably includes the security updates (but that would still be considered stock PHP).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:06 pm

For what it's worth, I had a go at updating to php 7.3 on my test board with phpBB 3.2.2. It works fine other than an error being thrown when the cache is purged and is then first recreated (but this only happens on the first subsequent page load). From reading up this is the error that was reported and fixed in 3.3.0. I know later versions of phpBB 3.2.x won't allow you to install/update with 7.3. One possibility is to temporarily downgrade to 7.1 or 7.2, then re-upgrade to 7.3 after phpBB is installed/updated, but this is obviously no assistance to someone who has a host using php 7.3 as the minimum version.

php 7.3 was also noticeably faster, so I'm eagerly looking forward to the phpBB 3.3 release. Well done on the devs for getting it to this point. :) If I get time, I might play around with 3.3.0b2 on my test board.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Latinus

Post by Latinus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 am

Mick wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Seriously?
Mick wrote:
and goes up to 7.3.
They realise people have different needs.
Latinus wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:25 pm
So ?
To what in particular?
The current debian* stable is Buster.
Buster comes with php 7.3
It's indeed possible to run php 7.2 but not from official repo's. That's a security problem.

I'm glad for you that your host still provide older php versions but it's realy not the subject here...

* : I'm sure you know Debian is widly used and is a good reference.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 am

PHP 7.2 can be installed from the PPA of the maintainer of PHP packages for Ubuntu and Debian:
https://deb.sury.org/

Those are clearly as secure as using the ones from the official Debian and Ubuntu repositories and PHP 7.2 is still fully supported.

Latinus

Post by Latinus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:29 am

Marc wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 am
PHP 7.2 can be installed from the PPA of the maintainer of PHP packages for Ubuntu and Debian:
https://deb.sury.org/

Those are clearly as secure as using the ones from the official Debian and Ubuntu repositories and PHP 7.2 is still fully supported.
That's what I said : it's indeed possible.

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/php7.list
deb https://packages.sury.org/php/ buster main
Sury isn't an official repos. I don't care about the maintainer even if it's God.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am

Latinus wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:29 am
Sury isn't an official repos. I don't care about the maintainer even if it's God.
The maintainer wrote: I am a Debian Developer since year 2000, and I have been packaging PHP for Debian since PHP 5. That means the official packages in Debian and Ubuntu are either my work or they are based on my work. The PHP packages in my Ubuntu PPA and Debian DPA matches the official packages in Debian. Basically I am saying that you can’t get any closer than that.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:26 am

Is there any actual update 😉
I did see that 3.3 beta2 is release, so hopefully “soon” we can get RC and final.
Hopefully it is not too far after bug support ends in a week for 7.2

Thanks for the hard work on phpbb

criley
Name: Christopher Riley

Post by criley » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:04 pm

It would be REALLY nice if we could get some support for php 7.3 since php 7.2 is no longer actively supported (https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php). Yes they still do security updates, however there are some companies out there that REQUIRE you to be running actively supported versions of the software and even phpBB3.2 is no longer actively supported (https://www.phpbb.com/about/release/). I realize that many of those that contribute to this project have full time jobs elsewhere however I would prefer not to go into the holiday season and or beginning of a new year running unsupported software.

I would have preferred to have posted this over in Area51 but alas seems that registration is broken over there or misconfigured and I am unable to do so.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 pm

criley wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:04 pm
even phpBB3.2 is no longer actively supported (https://www.phpbb.com/about/release/)
Regardless of what that page says, that statement is simply untrue. phpBB 3.2 support continues (just look at the Support forum).
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

criley
Name: Christopher Riley

Post by criley » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:17 pm

That may be true however Company Auditors do not bother with reading forums and most can are still looking for the "Any Key". What they can do is do a search for "phpBB 3.2 EOL" and find the page that I am pointed out. Therefore some of us that maintain servers are in a bit of a dilemma as we either have to run software that the auditors believe to be out of date or we have to upgrade to software that has not yet quite been released, (I.E. phpBB 3.3.0-b2) and pray for the best.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”