A Few Newbie Q's

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Findin-Ma-Way

A Few Newbie Q's

Post by Findin-Ma-Way » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 am

Morning All

I'm running an SMF forum which I would like to transfer to phpBB.
Before doing so, I've set up phpBB on a subdomain so I can attempt to get as many of the features that my SMF forum has to minimize impact on my members.
It's working just fine and credit to your software the installation process was very simple.

I have a few questions, probably 20 but I will start with 3 so not to confuse.

1) What is the best process for backing up?

2) In the posting editor, there is a quote BBcode built in, where do I find this in the files? I would like to add a similar type of quote via a custom BBcode so my members can continue to choose from 2 different quote backgrounds.

3) I want to have the quick login box from the index page also displayed on the topic pages, I have tried copying it in the template and it looks just fab, however it doesn't work. When I enter username and password it says invalid form.

Kind Regards
Lee

warmweer

Re: A Few Newbie Q's

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:31 am

Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 am
1) What is the best process for backing up?
Use the Backup from the ACP. Then using FTP copy the backup to your PC (or another safe place). That takes care of the database part. As to the files: the phpBB files can be downloaded so all you need to backup are changed files and extra images, avatars, smilies, files etc...
Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
2) In the posting editor, there is a quote BBcode built in, where do I find this in the files? I would like to add a similar type of quote via a custom BBcode so my members can continue to choose from 2 different quote backgrounds.

I'm not sure what you mean with different backgrounds. The "background" is part of style and not dependent on the BB function itself. My suggestion is to install an extra style and let your users choose which style they want to use. If that's not really what you want, you'll have to request an extension or some custom coding.
Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
3) I want to have the quick login box from the index page also displayed on the topic pages, I have tried copying it in the template and it looks just fab, however it doesn't work. When I enter username and password it says invalid form.
I'm not 100% sure but I vaguely remember a quick login extension: have a look at the extension forums.

Added: Basically you have 3 support questions. In that case it would have been better to create 3 seperate posts, one for each question (and in the Support forum where it's more likely you'll get speciic answers).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm

If you are not logged on and try to reply to a topic or post a new one, the login form will come up automatically, and then redirect you back, so the login form should not be required.

The Quote BBcode is a builtin special bbcode. I do not think you would be able to duplicate it too easily with a custom bbcode.

Findin-Ma-Way

Post by Findin-Ma-Way » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks for the replies guys,

With SMF there is a login on every page so i was hoping to do something similar but only on topic pages,

The quote thing is so that members can do a standard member quote and or a poem quote, the poem quote is styled different to the standard quite so members can distinguish the two.

You may he right on asking the questions seperately, I will do that later, I currently have a problem where Gmail members are not receiving activation mails, members with other email providers are getting their activation emails just not google. I havent changed any settings so it looks like this is a hosting problem so will ask them first.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:01 am

Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am
a poem quote, the poem quote is styled different to the standard quite so members can distinguish the two.
That's no quote (where a user and a post is linked, displaying the post time), but merely a box. Just create your own BBCode for that, preferably with a distinct name (like POEM) instead of adding ambiguousity to the existing QUOTE.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am

Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
The quote thing is so that members can do a standard member quote and or a poem quote, the poem quote is styled different to the standard quite so members can distinguish the two.
This extension may be a solution - viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2460831
Findin-Ma-Way wrote:
I currently have a problem where Gmail members are not receiving activation mails, members with other email providers are getting their activation emails just not google.
That is quite possibly due to Gmail treating email from phpBB as spam - this has been an issue for many years with some Gmail mail servers.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”