Sizing a PHPBB Server

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
guidetoacrazyworld

Sizing a PHPBB Server

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Let me be clear, I'm asking an impossible question. I know I'm asking an impossible question and apologize in advance. I'm just hoping I can get a little guidance to make a better guess then I can on my own.

I'm building a new forum. But unlike most new forums it has a pretty good size out of the box following. We are refugees from a forum site that is closing down at the end of the month, and we are taking several of the community and creating a new environment for them to continue to exist in. The idea is to be community-owned, community-run and not have to deal with this again.

The problem I have is that the current platform doesn't give us data on page views. I can get data on posts and followers, but I only can get posts at a daily level, and followers obviously is a pretty miss leading number since many of them clicked the follow button once years ago and then forgot about the forum.

All in with all the sites were are looking at so far there are about 250,000 followers and up to about 10,000 posts in a day. Obviously, this is going to tapper off with a move.

I'm trying to figure out how to size a server. I'm leaning toward a low range VPS as it will likely be easier to upgrade resources later if we need to. At the same time, another member is willing to front all the costs annually. I want to be very respectful of her and not blatantly over spend. Having never run PHPBB before and not having great numbers to go off of, I'm not even sure where to start and thought I could get some opinions here. Don't worry, when I miss-size it I'm not going to blame any of you. ;)

Thanks in advance for tolerating this obnoxiously impossible question.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Sizing a PHPBB Server

Post by KevC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm

You sure about those numbers?
Every single person would be making 25 posts a day. That seems a lot.

Generally less than 10% of people on a memberlist are actually active.

Regardless, most hosts will let you upgrade from package to package as your site grows. You could go for something relatively conservative and as people move over and the post rate grows, just step up the package tree.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

guidetoacrazyworld

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. On the current platform, one does not have to follow a forum to post on it. So some posters are follower, some posters are not. That number will drop significantly. I'm expecting most core community members to come over. My high-end estimate would be about 1,000 registered users. Like everything else that's a guess.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm

1000 registered users can easily be managed on cheap shared hosting. I've run a board for years with 30,000 on it (approx 2500 IP visits per day) and it runs just fine.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Unless you require the flexibility of VPS If I were you I'd research hosts that have good reputation for VPS/Dedicated servers that also offer shared packages. Get the shared package and they should be able to easily migrate you to VPS if required.

The cheapest VPS packages should be able to handle what you are describing but as you are aware who knows without actually getting into it. My experience has been upgrading VPS with more resources is typically very fast as in request the upgrade and it's done deal within an hour.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

guidetoacrazyworld

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Thank you both. I think that was a long the lines of what I was thinking. I just would hate to go shared and have to do a migration in the first year, but it's not the end of the world if it happens.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am

The host would do all of that for you though if you did need it.
Cheap UK Hosting

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am

KevC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am
The host would do all of that for you though if you did need it.
Although some may charge for doing it
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”