Wow a lot has changed

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
warlock666
Name: Andrew Scott

Wow a lot has changed

Post by warlock666 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm

10 years ago i was owner of a car club and had a great online friendship with Dicky who was the mod install for my phpbb3 forum.
But i then found out through another team member that he had passed away :( which left a void on my forum and had new mod installers take over.
Ill health made me close down my car club and now i run a new online business and so i thought i would have forums for my customers and suppliers
so i rejoined the phpbb community and a lot has changed with new mods and styles so will be looking forward in working with the installers and mod team. It is great to be back :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Wow a lot has changed

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:41 pm

welcome back and yes a lot has changed.

for instance there are no longer any MODs. they are now called extensions and there is no editing required. you just download the extension to your computer, unzip it and upload the folder to the server using ftp . you put it in a folder named ext in your phpbb root.
then you go to your admin panel, customize tab, manage extensions from the left menu and enable it.
done.

styles have changed as well. there are no more tables, it is all divs and css etc.

you can have a style that inherits just about anything and everything from prosilver so that when an update comes up, it is a simple matter to update your custom styles as well.

speaking of updates. since extensions are free standing, there is rarely a need for any editing of the core files. that makes updates and upgrades very easy.
remove all the old files except for the config.php file and the images, files, ext and store folders and replace the rest with new files from the full package.
except for the blank config.php file.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

warlock666
Name: Andrew Scott

Re: Wow a lot has changed

Post by warlock666 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 am

Blimey goes to show just how long i have been away, plus it was facebook as well that destroyed my car club but now i have noticed 1000s leaving facebook and going back to using forums as the security is far better and more controllable than facebook. Feels like i have come into the future :lol: god i feel old :lol:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”