Your forum past, present and future

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
dontcoz

Re: Your forum past, present and future

Post by dontcoz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Good plan dingus33. What I find is that my vision for the forum after 10 years is really just mine. No one else in the community wound run the forum the way I do or have a strong enough interest to continue where I left off, and that is probably completely natural. I think that ppl would rather start their own from scratch and they did (there are several offshoots currently active that I know of).
Last edited by dontcoz on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:20 pm

warlock666 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:11 pm
But things are still very hard to get people motivated away from facebook, i tell people about the forums and most now have never heard of a forum let alone seen one.
I run out of time to respond to this earlier. I can’t believe ppl are still so much into Fakebook. I can’t stand it either and I saw it negatively affect ppl’s lives too. It’s sad that a lot of younger folks don't know enough about forums for them to garner more interest but such is life. Maybe that’s the internet life forms evolution in the making. Maybe forums are dinosaurs and once their food becomes scarce they’ll go the way of a dodo bird and be replaced by more intelligent, snappier, flashier Twitter-like creature. I do hope that predatorial Fakebook will go extinct sooner rather than later though. Time will tell, I guess.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 pm

We've been going since November 2004 on phpbb2. Business as usual.

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Coming up to 13 years here and still going strong with not a lot of drop off due to facebook!

I have had a few moments where I have though about giving up but the members keep me going! they are a good bunch

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:27 pm

I agree RE Facebook, I'm wary of putting my real data into any social media sites.
Once my FB profile was private, well it was meant to be and the settings were correct... yet someone was able to find me on there using Google.

What amazes me is if phpBB or a forum were found to be selling people's data - thousands of people would run a mile and not trust that site or it's owner anymore... but so many people are reliant on Facebook, addicted to the point of needing it or spending their days posting meme's... that they would forgive it over and over again.
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:51 pm

dontcoz wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 pm
Wow. Good for you.
Thank You! :D

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:59 am

Very impressive. If you don’t mind me asking:

- How come you never updated to phpbb3?

- How much of your time does it take to moderate and maintain the forum?

- How many active posters do you normally have per day?

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 am

sakm wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 pm
Coming up to 13 years here and still going strong with not a lot of drop off due to facebook!

I have had a few moments where I have though about giving up but the members keep me going! they are a good bunch
How many active members do you have? I am asking about those who come online almost every day.
Last edited by dontcoz on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am

dontcoz wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 am
sakm wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 pm

How many active members do you have? I asking about those who come online almost every day.
It hard to put a figure on active members! As I have around 300 a day plus guests but there is a lot of members that don't visit daily!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”