Setting up FastCGI caching for phpBB on NginX

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
wolfbeast

Setting up FastCGI caching for phpBB on NginX

Post by wolfbeast » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 am

Hey folks,

There are plenty of articles out there for Wordpress, but I haven't found anything at all whatsoever for phpBB, so maybe someone familiar with FastCGI caching on NginX can help me out here.

Our board gets a -ton- of guest visitors and quite the amount of RSS feed reader requests. I'd like to be able to cache the PHP output for guests (they are read-only anyway, no guest posting allowed) for, say, 30 minutes, as well as the RSS feed output from /feed.php for a slightly lesser amount (15 minutes) to reduce the load on our server from repeat construction of otherwise static output by PHP. I'm aware it may lead to slightly stale content on the board for guest visitors and RSS feeds but that's perfectly fine.

Is there a way to set up fastcgi_cache in NginX to do this? I'm assuming checking cookies for a logged-in status would work (do guest visits set a user cookie...?)

Help greatly appreciated.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Setting up FastCGI caching for phpBB on NginX

Post by stevemaury » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:21 pm

For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

wolfbeast

Post by wolfbeast » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm aware of that, but considering this is the crowd that would be running phpBB, it does make sense to ask here, no?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm

There are many things that it is possible someone here might know. However, we would prefer to have this forum devoted to phpBB support. I will move this to phpBB Discussion.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

wolfbeast

Post by wolfbeast » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:50 pm

You know what, never mind if this is the kind of resistance I can expect. Please delete this topic.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm

you probably won't see this, but...

why do you expect to get support for server problems/questions at a support site that is strictly for something else?

would you go to an automotive support site for support on how to install plumbing in your house?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:42 am

I remember I tried some time ago, but since I'm not an Nginx guru, I couldn't make it work properly.

I might try it again.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm
why do you expect to get support for server problems/questions at a support site that is strictly for something else?
Because it's related and because a phpBB advanced users or developers know the software they use/develop.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm
would you go to an automotive support site for support on how to install plumbing in your house?
That's not a good example/analogy.
Some of my phpBB extensions: [ Imgur | SEO Metadata | Markdown ]
Check out all my extensions
Arch Linux user

dingus33

Post by dingus33 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:23 am

i'm with wolfbeast and AbaddonOrmuz on this one. unless specifically discouraged by the administration (ahem), i feel that this is a promising place to ask questions like these because i can't think of a place where you're more likely to find people who are highly proficient in both phpBB and nginx.

i've never set up FastCGI caching, but i enjoy reading 'application notes' and related discussions. gives me ideas and insights. i hope you get it working and post your findings ;)

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

dingus33 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:23 am
i'm with wolfbeast and AbaddonOrmuz on this one. unless specifically discouraged by the administration (ahem), i feel that this is a promising place to ask questions like these because i can't think of a place where you're more likely to find people who are highly proficient in both phpBB and nginx.
There should be a forum to report or discourse about Admins and Moderators in this phpBB community ;), sometimes people need urgent solutions to their problems and some Admins & Mods discourage and lock their topics :roll:.
Use Search Button to get Instant Results | Follow Forum Rules
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

Get The Best Web Hosting | ✔ Buy Cheap Domain Names

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 pm

You can also report replies or get in touch with me if you have a complaint about a team member, moderation action or general moderation policy. As the link Steve said states, you're perfectly welcome to ask nginx questions. However, we may not always be able to answer them at all times as it's not our expertise. We point this out as to not have displeased users afterwards regarding lack of response.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”