Why doesn't phpBB follow some trends like its competitors?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Why doesn't phpBB follow some trends like its competitors?

Post by umarizal »

Why doesn't phpBB keep up with website trends like the main forum scripts and content management systems (CMS) do? :(

:arrow: Friendly URLs
I don't understand why the phpBB development team is so averse to the idea of friendly URLs, going completely against the absolute majority of forum scripts such as vBulletin, XenFORO, Invision Power Board (even free ones like SMF and MyBB) and even the overwhelming majority of websites and miscellaneous scripts as web site managers. content (CMS) such as Wordpress among others.

:arrow: WYSIWYG Editor
It seems like the phpBB text editor has stopped in time with its bbCodes, not at all practical and difficult to use, especially for novices. It would be very welcome a visual text editor, like TinyMCE, where you see in real time the edits made in the text as bold, italic, underline, highlighted link, images, among others.

Thanks in advance, friends.

Good comparative list in Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... m_software
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.
david63

Re: Why doesn't phpBB follow some trends like its competitors?

Post by david63 »

Both of those features have been discussed at length, many times, so there seems little point in going over them again here.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Friendly URLs would be nice, but a WYSIWYG editor can go to hell. I don't like the fact where my text is exactly formatted from the content I copied. And sometimes the format will render all messed up. It's better to keep a WYSIWYG editor as an extension only feature which there is. And I do believe there is or was a friendly URL extension for "SEO" purposes, but when I used it and the extension wasn't maintained or broke I had a bunch of useless URLs that in turn destroyed my SEO. So if one were to use a friendly URL extension it has to be coded right and always maintained.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

I don't like the fact where my text is exactly formatted from the content I copied.
Ditto.
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

John connor wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 am but a WYSIWYG editor can go to hell. I don't like the fact where my text is exactly formatted from the content I copied.
Yep, try posting quotes from an article on an Xenforo forum, christ in the time it takes to make it to look normal you could have wrote the article yourself, on a phone it takes ages, on a computer it's easier to copy it to Notepad then onto the Xenforo topic, :cry: an unnecessary chore.
Boom.
eeji

Post by eeji »

Have you seen the code WYSIWYG editors churn out? I can't stand the things!
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.iansvivarium.com
My "board": iansvivarium.com
(yes, it's running phpBB!)
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Dan Stylez wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 pm
John connor wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 am but a WYSIWYG editor can go to hell. I don't like the fact where my text is exactly formatted from the content I copied.
Yep, try posting quotes from an article on an Xenforo forum, christ in the time it takes to make it to look normal you could have wrote the article yourself, on a phone it takes ages, on a computer it's easier to copy it to Notepad then onto the Xenforo topic, :cry: an unnecessary chore.
Xenforo is an abomination. I can't believe people pay for that crap. My board has just as many features if not more compared to Xenforo. Plus, what's up with the stupid trophies and crap? It's like they are trying to mimic BS social media.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

eeji wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:09 pm Have you seen the code WYSIWYG editors churn out? I can't stand the things!
Off topic, but your avatar has always intrigued me. The hospital I've been to a number of times is called MCR. Medical Center of the Rockies. :lol:
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 am your avatar has always intrigued me
The MCR in that avatar is an abbreviation for Manchester (UK) and the heart in the avatar means "I love Manchester" and is response to the horrific terrorist attack two and half years ago.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
eeji

Post by eeji »

John connor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 am ...Medical Center of the Rockies. :lol:
:lol: David's correct it is indeed Manchester. Not just for the attacks, but for the best city in the world (imho!)
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.iansvivarium.com
My "board": iansvivarium.com
(yes, it's running phpBB!)
Linsa

Post by Linsa »

John connor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am
Dan Stylez wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Xenforo is an abomination. I can't believe people pay for that crap. My board has just as many features if not more compared to Xenforo. Plus, what's up with the stupid trophies and crap? It's like they are trying to mimic BS social media.
Why is Xenforo crap for? how is the user-friendliness between xenfor and vBulletin then?
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Linsa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm Why is Xenforo crap for? how is the user-friendliness between xenfor and vBulletin then?
They're both paid for crap. :lol:
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

eeji wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm(imho!)
Everybody is allowed their own opinion.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

John connor wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 am
Linsa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm Why is Xenforo crap for? how is the user-friendliness between xenfor and vBulletin then?
They're both paid for crap. :lol:
Again, I agree. I never understood what were those features that ppl needed so much that they had to pay to get them.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

dontcoz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:33 pm Again, I agree. I never understood what were those features that ppl needed so much that they had to pay to get them.
The misconception exists that something you have to pay for is better than the free equivalent product. (and in this case there's already a misconception about the equivalence).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”