How many hours to build a basic phpBB forum?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Crusoeman

How many hours to build a basic phpBB forum?

Post by Crusoeman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:40 pm

If I was to ask someone familiar with phpBB software to build a simple forum for me can anyone say how many hours work would be involved? Before anyone says that it depends on this or it depends on that, I’m not talking of a forum that strays from the default. Just a straightforward phpBB based forum with no extensions.

As a secondary question, and this might be more difficult to answer, what sort of cost would be involved for the forum as described? By that I mean simply the cost (per hour??) of building the forum. I am not including such things as hosting, domain name costs, etc. They are separate issues. If you are uneasy about this question perhaps you could just say how many hours might be involved as asked in the first paragraph? That would at least give me a bit of a guide.

Tim

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: How many hours to build a basic phpBB forum?

Post by david63 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Anyone experienced with phpBB would be able to install a basic board with, say, five fora in under an hour. Beyond that then it would depend on what else was required.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Crusoeman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:40 pm

If I was to ask someone familiar with phpBB software to build a simple forum for me can anyone say how many hours work would be involved? Before anyone says that it depends on this or it depends on that, I’m not talking of a forum that strays from the default. Just a straightforward phpBB based forum with no extensions.

As a secondary question, and this might be more difficult to answer, what sort of cost would be involved for the forum as described? By that I mean simply the cost (per hour??) of building the forum. I am not including such things as hosting, domain name costs, etc. They are separate issues. If you are uneasy about this question perhaps you could just say how many hours might be involved as asked in the first paragraph? That would at least give me a bit of a guide.

Tim
Setting up a phpBB board involves using phpMyadim (or similar from your Control Panel) to create an empty database (the name an password you'll need to write down as you'll need those to install the board). You also need FTP to upload the phpBB files to a directory on your host (assuming you have a host and a domainname).
Then you're all set: navigate to e.g. yourdomain.com/phpBB3/install - read the screens, fill in the required info en phpBB will preset you with a board within 3 to 5 minutes (perhaps less).
From that moment on you'll be able to start making categories/forums/subforums/groups and set permissions. Depending on your requirements that takes 10 minutes for a very simple board to possible an hour or 2 if you want a more complicated design. There 's really no way of telling how long it takes without knowing your exacts wants, but in 1 hour a lot can be accomplished.

Setting up a basic testboard takes me max 10 minutes.

A cost per hour for setting up a board? Considering the level of difficulty I'ld say a couple of cups of coffee or some stronger stuff should be ample payment.
A word of advice: don't pay someone to do it for you, do it yourself - you're going to administrate the board anyway and will need to learn the basics which include installing anyway (and updating/upgrading/language packs/styles/extensions).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 pm

kind of like the old joke about having the mechanic fix your car.
the bill was $100. $1 for turning one screw to fix it $99 for knowing which screw to turn.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:29 am

To answer the first question. Someone who knows phpBB could do it in about an hour or less depending on the number of categories and subforums needing and their relevant permissions. I found that setting the permissions was a real time consumer. There are so many! Not just forum permissions that can be copied over from one forum to the next, but group permissions, mod permissions and admin permissions, etc.

To answer your second question. I have no idea what one would charge. If you're hiring someone to do the job and they are experienced with phpBB and know what they are doing, then some decent coin would be advised. I don't know what that would be, but if I were to do it based on your requirements for just a plain vanilla forum with no extensions, etc, I'd probably charge $150-$200 flat rate. Maybe others would be hourly, I don't know. Adding extensions, etc would be more work with their configuration if they have configurations and securing the site is also another factor to consider along with the right headers, etc. I would throw it on a reverse proxy. I use CloudFlare myself and have had no issues because I know what to and not to cache, etc.

You can find someone here to do it in the Wanted subforum or at the website fiverr which hosts a lot of paid-for talent for all kinds of things. Fiverr is also a publicly traded company. I've used them in the past and my forum avatar here was created from a guy on fiverr. Looks like their stock went up 36 cents today. :lol:

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:41 am

Based on the replies in How qualified do you need to be to set up and run a phpBB based forum? you should have experienced that yourself by now.

If all preconditions are met then installing 3.0.14 could have been done in about 10 minutes. Nowaday's 3.2.8 might need longer or is equally fast. You spend the most work in preparing everything (potential conversion, potential upgrade, setting up server/domain/database...) and adjusting your installation (creating forums/groups, change permissions, initial/updated content...). And testing, if everything works as expected.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm

John connor wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:29 am
if I were to do it based on your requirements for just a plain vanilla forum with no extensions, etc, I'd probably charge $150-$200 flat rate.
I do no frills installs for £20, it's only a case of setting up a MYSQL database, uploading phpBB to hosting, changing the permissions on 3 folders, hitting install and typing in the database info, then deleting the install folder. phpBB comes with the first forum permissions already set up so it only takes a minute to add a few more forums and categories.

I always create 2 databases and use the second for set up a spare forum on a subdomain but often will set up 4 or 5 because if they don't want to install it themselves the chances are they are new to it - so they can use the spare forums for experimenting with and learning.

At the end of the day I feel bad to charge much for a simple install because a lot of people start a forum and then get bored of it after 2 weeks, plus it's not like you have to cover travel expenses because it's all done from your own home, I've even seen people offering to do it for free on hosting chat forums,

Rather than paying someone though, I would recommend having a bash at installing it yourself, if you're going to be maintaining it and moderating it you might as well take an extra 30 minutes to learn how it's installed just in case you get any niggles, plus the support forum right here has people from all corners of the globe so there is pretty much always someone on hand who can offer help.
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks to everyone for your comments. What you confirm is what I had always thought; to set up a phpBB based forum doesn’t involve a great deal of time or money.

Behind my question is the notion that out there in the big bad world there are companies, maybe rather than individuals, who present a complicated picture to naïve clients and see the opportunity to charge megabucks for their work. It's nothing new, I am sure I remember originally thinking this many years ago. Maybe I am being unfair and Robert’s comment about mechanics that charge $1 to fix it and $99 to know which screw to turn approach is how they come to justify their charges.

Tim

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am

In fairness I do think that for anyone starting out it is quite daunting having to find hosting (be it good or bad), getting a domain name (although most hosts will do that for you), learning ftp and then installing and configuring the software - I know that it was a steep learning curve for me, but that was more years ago than I care to remember!

All this in a day and age where many "new" (to phpBB) users are used to just pressing a button and everything happens for them - the most difficult part being to install an app.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:48 pm

yep, us old guys remember when if you wanted a website of any kind you had to learn a few basic things about it.
how to use your hosting control panel
how to create a blank database on your hosting account
how to use ftp to upload/download files
how to ( god forbid ) write a little html ;)
and, I guess the most basic; how to use a real computer.

some things just can't be done very well, if at all, on a phone.
or.... you had to be willing to pay someone that knows how to do all that.

:lol:
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”