How can I host my own photos?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
phil mailloux

How can I host my own photos?

Post by phil mailloux » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 am

Hey guys, sick and tired of the Photobucket BS and can't seem to find an easy intuitive photo server out there that plays well with my forum. At this point i'm thinking of hosting my own photos to my website to embed to my forum posts.

Does anyone know what I would have to do to do that? Where would I have to create the photos folder on my site and would this mean I can only upload the photos via FTP?

The result i'm looking for is to have links to my photos called somethign along the lines of :

Code: Select all

www.myforumname.com/photos/vacation photo1.jpg
and to stick those into IMG tags. Is that doable?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How can I host my own photos?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 am

the simplest thing is to use the attachment system.

or, install this:
viewtopic.php?t=2407621

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:26 am

phil mailloux wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 am
an easy intuitive photo server out there
Picture hosters existed for decades already - I can only assume people used Photobucket since they didn't know better, even if it rather qualifies as social media than a hoster and it was never meant to embed pictures elsewhere. Have a read on Re: Best photo upload extension? and Re: Recomendations on image hosting services
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 am

I use Amazon AWS and the attachment system already in phpBB. I use an AWS S3 extension to accomplish this. What you have to do is create an Amazon AWS account for S3 and enter the credentials in the AWS S3 extension. If you want to go this route let me know and I'll give you a link to the extension that work for PHP 7.2.

The reason why I use Amazon S3 is to segregate the picture load from the forum server to AWS.

phil mailloux

Post by phil mailloux » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:04 pm

If I go the route of the attachment system, can I set it up as only available for certain groups? Or is that a global thing and all of a sudden everyone can upload pretty much anything?

John connor

Post by John connor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 am

Yeah, under group permissions I believe there is the option for allowing attachments.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 pm

phil mailloux wrote:
Hey guys, sick and tired of the Photobucket BS and can't seem to find an easy intuitive photo server out there that plays well with my forum. At this point i'm thinking of hosting my own photos to my website to embed to my forum posts.

Does anyone know what I would have to do to do that? Where would I have to create the photos folder on my site and would this mean I can only upload the photos via FTP?

The result i'm looking for is to have links to my photos called somethign along the lines of :

We use both attachments and a separate photo gallery on our board. They both work very well (with over 121 mil attachments and 5.2 mil in the photo gallery) - and if I recall those features were both implemented in phpbb3 so you should have the ability for utilize both on your board as well This is much better than simply embedding with an image tag. Using the features provides more control over the presentations and management of posted images.

John connor

Post by John connor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:48 pm

JLA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 pm
phil mailloux wrote:

We use both attachments and a separate photo gallery on our board. They both work very well (with over 121 mil attachments and 5.2 mil in the photo gallery) - and if I recall those features were both implemented in phpbb3 so you should have the ability for utilize both on your board as well This is much better than simply embedding with an image tag. Using the features provides more control over the presentations and management of posted images.
Your UA sniffing on your website is pretty extreme. I can't even visit. I tried my main browser Pale Moon, a plain vanilla version of Firefox 65 and Chrome 77. This would block a lot of users if you don't allow at least three to four older versions back. I block UAs but only if they are ancient.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm

John connor wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:48 pm
JLA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 pm
phil mailloux wrote:

Your UA sniffing on your website is pretty extreme. I can't even visit. I tried my main browser Pale Moon, a plain vanilla version of Firefox 65 and Chrome 77. This would block a lot of users if you don't allow at least three to four older versions back. I block UAs but only if they are ancient.
Might not be a UA issues. Will send a PM to troubleshoot. Sorry for any issues.

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Return to “phpBB Discussion”