My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
User avatar
deepndark
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:47 pm

I had an ad on the bottom of my forum - but now it shows them all over the forum. My ad settings are suddenly over-wridden it seems. As my settings allow ads only after the bottom's navbar. WTF?

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16718
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by david63 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:03 pm

So the obvious question is - What has changed?

Things do not just move "all over the place" on their own, somebody somewhere has changed something.

Have you added any extensions?
Have you made any core code changes?
Have you updated/upgraded your board?
Has your host updated/upgraded any software on the server?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
deepndark
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:09 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:03 pm
So the obvious question is - What has changed?

Things do not just move "all over the place" on their own, somebody somewhere has changed something.

Have you added any extensions?
Have you made any core code changes?
Have you updated/upgraded your board?
Has your host updated/upgraded any software on the server?
The answer is NO to all these. The last time I did some changes was many days ago. And the settings allowed only showing one ad at the bottom of the footbar. I disabled the ads now.

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16718
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by david63 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Another possibility is that something has changed with your ad provider in the way in which the format their ads.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
deepndark
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm
Another possibility is that something has changed with your ad provider in the way in which the format their ads.
Actually yeah, I read something about Adsense changes, but didn't think it overwrites the ad extension settings. :roll:

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by JLA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages

User avatar
deepndark
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am

JLA wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:

User avatar
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bellarine Peninsula, Australia
Name: Hugh
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by hewmac06 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am

deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by JLA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:02 pm

hewmac06 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.
Our were turned on by default when we received the notification from Google. Didn't really matter since that was our intention anyway - but I guess it might be a problem for those who might not want the feature.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by JLA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm

deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
JLA wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Just curious - what does the "official Ad Extension" do exactly? Its been so long since I've been into a phpbb3 board's admin - I can't honestly say I'm familiar with the feature since we are working strictly with phpbb2.

User avatar
deepndark
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:44 pm

JLA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm
deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
JLA wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Just curious - what does the "official Ad Extension" do exactly? Its been so long since I've been into a phpbb3 board's admin - I can't honestly say I'm familiar with the feature since we are working strictly with phpbb2.
Well it is an extension that allows us to add adsense ads to our forums. You could choose where, but not anymore. I just had one ad on the bottom, but after their latest update (google adsense), they kinda f**ked up our freedom to place the ads for our like. This means that our ad extension settings for the placings are kinda overwritten. Google autoads died for me after this.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by JLA » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:06 pm

deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:44 pm
JLA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm
deepndark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
JLA wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages
But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Just curious - what does the "official Ad Extension" do exactly? Its been so long since I've been into a phpbb3 board's admin - I can't honestly say I'm familiar with the feature since we are working strictly with phpbb2.
Well it is an extension that allows us to add adsense ads to our forums. You could choose where, but not anymore. I just had one ad on the bottom, but after their latest update (google adsense), they kinda f**ked up our freedom to place the ads for our like. This means that our ad extension settings for the placings are kinda overwritten. Google autoads died for me after this.
Wow - had no idea that phpbb added that functionality. We had to add this to our phpbb board. Does the extension give you the ability to shut off ads on an individual topic? We added that functionality for situations where users post content that might not be acceptable for Adsense policies but otherwise do not violate any other rules of the site.

Nick225
Registered User
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by Nick225 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Did you enable Auto Ads? It allows google to place Ads on your page, where google thinks it's appropriate.
You may want to disable that if your ads are all over the places.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by JLA » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm

We’ve noticed in the past two weeks that Google seems to have become much more aggressive with their auto ad placement – enough so we think that it is not leading to a good user experience. Looking at the revenue numbers it appears that there is not a significant enough benefit to justify enabling as the manually placed ads earn much more. We are going to try and disable it for a period of time and compare the numbers again.

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3356
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by thecoalman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 am

hewmac06 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.
By default they are enabling this "feature" for any page with adsense code, it doesn't need to be the auto ads code. I disabled it and six hours later I still had one giant ad appearing just under the navigation. I've removed adsesne and won't be putting it back. Revenues have been very low the last few years and I was planning on doing it within the year anyway.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”