My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
deepndark

My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by deepndark »

I had an ad on the bottom of my forum - but now it shows them all over the forum. My ad settings are suddenly over-wridden it seems. As my settings allow ads only after the bottom's navbar. WTF?
david63

Re: My forum's ads started to show up all over the place

Post by david63 »

So the obvious question is - What has changed?

Things do not just move "all over the place" on their own, somebody somewhere has changed something.

Have you added any extensions?
Have you made any core code changes?
Have you updated/upgraded your board?
Has your host updated/upgraded any software on the server?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

david63 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:03 pm So the obvious question is - What has changed?

Things do not just move "all over the place" on their own, somebody somewhere has changed something.

Have you added any extensions?
Have you made any core code changes?
Have you updated/upgraded your board?
Has your host updated/upgraded any software on the server?
The answer is NO to all these. The last time I did some changes was many days ago. And the settings allowed only showing one ad at the bottom of the footbar. I disabled the ads now.
david63

Post by david63 »

Another possibility is that something has changed with your ad provider in the way in which the format their ads.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

david63 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 pm Another possibility is that something has changed with your ad provider in the way in which the format their ads.
Actually yeah, I read something about Adsense changes, but didn't think it overwrites the ad extension settings. :roll:
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7478040?hl=en

Actually works pretty well - especially for our mobile pages
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

JLA wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

deepndark wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.
JLA

Post by JLA »

hewmac06 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
deepndark wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am But that makes the phpbb team's official Ad Extension obsolete. :lol:
Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.
Our were turned on by default when we received the notification from Google. Didn't really matter since that was our intention anyway - but I guess it might be a problem for those who might not want the feature.
JLA

Post by JLA »

deepndark wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 am
JLA wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm Adesense will show ads anywhere on a page (where they think it is best) that has their ad code.

Just curious - what does the "official Ad Extension" do exactly? Its been so long since I've been into a phpbb3 board's admin - I can't honestly say I'm familiar with the feature since we are working strictly with phpbb2.
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

JLA wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Just curious - what does the "official Ad Extension" do exactly? Its been so long since I've been into a phpbb3 board's admin - I can't honestly say I'm familiar with the feature since we are working strictly with phpbb2.
Well it is an extension that allows us to add adsense ads to our forums. You could choose where, but not anymore. I just had one ad on the bottom, but after their latest update (google adsense), they kinda f**ked up our freedom to place the ads for our like. This means that our ad extension settings for the placings are kinda overwritten. Google autoads died for me after this.
JLA

Post by JLA »

deepndark wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:44 pm
JLA wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Well it is an extension that allows us to add adsense ads to our forums. You could choose where, but not anymore. I just had one ad on the bottom, but after their latest update (google adsense), they kinda f**ked up our freedom to place the ads for our like. This means that our ad extension settings for the placings are kinda overwritten. Google autoads died for me after this.
Wow - had no idea that phpbb added that functionality. We had to add this to our phpbb board. Does the extension give you the ability to shut off ads on an individual topic? We added that functionality for situations where users post content that might not be acceptable for Adsense policies but otherwise do not violate any other rules of the site.
Nick225

Post by Nick225 »

Did you enable Auto Ads? It allows google to place Ads on your page, where google thinks it's appropriate.
You may want to disable that if your ads are all over the places.
JLA

Post by JLA »

We’ve noticed in the past two weeks that Google seems to have become much more aggressive with their auto ad placement – enough so we think that it is not leading to a good user experience. Looking at the revenue numbers it appears that there is not a significant enough benefit to justify enabling as the manually placed ads earn much more. We are going to try and disable it for a period of time and compare the numbers again.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

hewmac06 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am Only if you decide to accept Adsense Auto Ads.
By default they are enabling this "feature" for any page with adsense code, it doesn't need to be the auto ads code. I disabled it and six hours later I still had one giant ad appearing just under the navigation. I've removed adsesne and won't be putting it back. Revenues have been very low the last few years and I was planning on doing it within the year anyway.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”