ACP Index

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

ACP Index

Post by mrgoldy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:34 pm

Out of curiousity, I was wondering what some of you think about the current ACP index?
It currently shows a couple of things, some of which I personally never really use.

It currently shows some notices, the board statistics, some 'quick actions', admin logs and inactive users.

So, therefore I was wondering what other people would 'like to see' on the ACP index page.
Perhaps some quick access for some specific settings, more navigation options, admin notes, quickly access user management, etc..

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: ACP Index

Post by david63 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 pm

To be quite honest I very rarely look at, or use, anything on there. The main thing that I use is the "Purge cache".

Warning messages should stay.

The board stats and re synch buttons could (should?) go to the system tab.

Inactive users and Admin actions are irrelevant there.

Cannot think of anything that could go on there that would be a help.

Unless you intend to make some customisable "quick links" I cannot really see any need to change it at the moment bearing in mind that at some point the whole ACP will probably be re-designed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm

Oh, I am not talking about core changes, just perhaps an extension.
One that also styles the ACP a bit more, just something simple for the time being :mrgreen:

I've heard multiple times that admin notes were requested, so just wondering what other thoughts and ideas were out there.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 pm

I agree with the idea that "inactive users" really doesn't need to be there. I would expect to find that "sample of most recent inactive users" at the bottom of the first page shown in "Users and Groups" tab, rather than the bottom of "General". But that might be more important on boards with admin approval.

The "Resynchronise or reset statistics" section seems about as good a place as any to have it. I agree that I've never used anything except the "Purge Cache" out of that list. But I wouldn't want to arbitrarily "scatter" or hide those other options somewhere else. Having these options right under the "Board Statistics" display seems like a logical place to have them.

One option perhaps missing there could be "resynchronize all forums"? i.e The equivalent of going to the "Forums" tab and hitting the "sync" button on each one in turn. Not that I have personally needed to use that; just perhaps something logically missing from "Resynchronise or reset statistics".

"Logged administrator actions" is important enough that it needs to stay, although I would say I don't typically refer to that. In addition to that, or in place of that, I would have actually liked to see "New errors logged since last ACP visit" or similar. Errors I didn't expect were happening seems more important than the possibility of rogue or unexpected admin actions; although both are important.

"A configurable list of links" sounds fine, but I don't think I would bother configuring it. Instead I would just go click in the section of the thing I would link to, if the link wasn't already there.

"Saving screen real estate" on this summary page does sound possibly beneficial? Meaning instead of being able to configure links or remove links, what if in the "Resynchronise or reset statistics" section we took a Microsoft Office-like "only show recently used menu options" approach. i.e. Most people would end up with a section that shows only the "Purge Cache" link because that's all we use, and a "show all options" link to reveal the rest of the lesser-used links. Maybe the "show all options" link displays as "hide unused options" when showing all, as the way to opt-in to showing less.

Being able to order the sections maybe could be part of that answer too. e.g. Being able to move a summary of the recent Error log entries to appear above the summary of recent Admin log entries might be preferred by some. And maybe even moving it to appear before the "Resynchronise or reset statistics" section. Just the same "draggable/collapseable sections" want that some have for the main forum display, too. That seems overly complicated for such a rarely used page though; if we simply have "two log summary sections" and I could choose whether Errors or Administrators was in the first and second instance of it, that would be plenty of configurability in my mind.

Random ideas: What about saving a snapshot of the statistics each visit, and above the "Board Statistics" section have a drop-down with entries like "Current", "Five days ago", "One week ago", etc. And when you select anything besides "Current", the "Board Statistics" shows the current numbers but with a "+185 (8%)" type display beside each number that has increased or decreased, to show how much change occurred since the selected time. I'm lazy and don't want to say "create a cron to guarantee these snapshots are available" (that would be fine too, though), and would simply save a snapshot whenever ACP was actually visited. So what's available in the drop-down would vary depending on how frequently you visited.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 pm

I was actually playing around with the ACP CSS the other day and wondering how comes you don't see many requests for changing the colours in there etc.

I only really use the ACP in my normal forum for activating users - if everything is working there is little reason to go in there. In my test forums it's basically enabling/disabling styles and extensions.

If I log in on my phone - because it has 100+ options it can take a bit longer to get to where I want to go - so the only 3 things I could think of changing for normal use would be:
  • The "inactive user list" would be at the top end of the index page.
  • Add a link to "disable board" and a link to "disable registrations" on the index page.
Apart from them 3 things, once a forum is set up there is little need to use the ACP.
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm

and there is little use , in my opinion, to restyle the colors etc. nobody but the admin(s) ever see it anyway.
you could make it pure text and I don't think it would really matter to most people.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 am

david63 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 pm
customisable "quick links"
That's already possible thanks to the modules - I removed "Manage user" since you get the same page in one click on "Users and groups" and instead added other modules...
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”