Google indexing posts

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Davey123

Google indexing posts

Post by Davey123 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:36 pm

If you saw that Google was only indexing the last 6 months of your forums posts, which file would you edit first please?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Google indexing posts

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm

none, I would first contact google to find out what is the problem.

as far as editing, there would be very little you could edit to make any difference.
the best thing you can do for google is have plenty of good relevant content for your subject matter.
maybe only the last 6 months of your posts are relevant to the subject matter.
then, make sure that your forum titles, topic titles etc. are using keywords relevant to your subject matter.

robret
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:06 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm
as far as editing, there would be very little you could edit to make any difference.
the best thing you can do for google is have plenty of good relevant content for your subject matter.
maybe only the last 6 months of your posts are relevant to the subject matter.
then, make sure that your forum titles, topic titles etc. are using keywords relevant to your subject matter.
You are confusing SERP performance with indexing. The original post is about only recent parts of the forum being indexed. Google can't know how good the content is if it hasn't been crawled and indexed in the first place.

To the OP, firstly, have you registered for Google Search Console? If not, you should, then you can look into how actively Google bots are crawling your page and whether or not the bots are experiencing any crawl errors. You'll need to address these for Google to index your site.

Google's bots generally don't have difficulties navigating a phpBB forum - they are smart enough to follow links in each forum to the relevant topics. However, the bots will only crawl pages they have access to, so you need to ensure the Google bots are given privileges to crawl the forums you want them to index. This is set via the ACP.

If everything looks fine and Google is still not indexing your older content, you could try creating a sitemap and submitting it to Google Search Console. This will help the crawlers find your older content. Even if a URL is shown in a sitemap, the crawlers may still decide not to crawl and index if it has a very old last modified date, but I don't believe that it is the case as many of the very old posts on my board are clearly in the google index, even if they have not been edited in a decade. You're better off giving the sitemap a try if you have verified that Google is able to crawl the pages that currently aren't indexed.

There is an official extension to create dynamic sitemaps for phpBB v 3.1: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_sitemap/. IMO it is not ideal and is not officially listed as a 3.2.x extension, but after some tinkering with URL rewrites, i have used it to create a sitemap for phpBB v 3.2.2.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Davey123

Post by Davey123 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:22 am

Thank you to you both, it's appreciated.

When said:
To the OP, firstly, have you registered for Google Search Console? If not, you should, then you can look into how actively Google bots are crawling your page and whether or not the bots are experiencing any crawl errors. You'll need to address these for Google to index your site.

If the last six months posts have been indexed, wouldn't that mean that the bots are crawling through okay?

Davey123

Post by Davey123 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Just to clarify a little more: Hi all, if you saw that Google was only indexing the last six months of your phpbb forums posts, ie, if I was to look again at it in say three years time, it will still be the last six months back from that date, which file would you edit first please, or is there a setting in the ACP to edit?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm

There are no files in phpBB to edit that will affect Google indexing. It is either a problem at Google's end or an issue with the permissions that you have given to the Google bot(s)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Davey123

Post by Davey123 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 pm

david63 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm
There are no files in phpBB to edit that will affect Google indexing. It is either a problem at Google's end or an issue with the permissions that you have given to the Google bot(s)
Thanks David, but if they didn't have permissions, they wouldn't index just the last 6 months posts.

Nick225

Post by Nick225 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pm

You should also installed the sitemap extension. It helps google crawl your site.

david63

Post by david63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:35 pm

Nick225 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pm
You should also installed the sitemap extension. It helps google crawl your site.
Are you sure about that?

I was always under the impression that sitemaps had little benefit for dynamic sites and are intended for static sites.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:32 pm

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:35 pm
Nick225 wrote:
Are you sure about that?

I was always under the impression that sitemaps had little benefit for dynamic sites and are intended for static sites.
Let's read what Google has to say about sitemaps: Learn about Sitemaps.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:36 pm

that is an interesting comment by google but it does not address the issue of static versus dynamic sites.

I can't give a reference but I remember some time ago that google is the one that said that dynamic sites lilke php based bulletin boards etc. don't really benefit much from sitemaps.

robert

Davey123

Post by Davey123 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 pm

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:35 pm
Nick225 wrote:
Are you sure about that?

That's what I think as well, forums are always gaining new pages, so very difficult to have a sitemap to keep with those constant, sometimes hourly changes!

So, anyone know the answer to the original question?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I still suggest what I said above. ask google. they are the ones that would probably know what their search bots are doing and why.

and, also answered is what file can you edit. none. there are no files in phpbb that you could make any changes to that would affect this in any way.

robert

david63

Post by david63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 pm

If sitemaps are such an asset why is that my site which has never used a sitemap, nor has it used any SEO, is at the top of Google searches (obviously using the correct search terms) and is indexed on a regular basis?
David

Davey123

Post by Davey123 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Also, is there any way that the sitemap, can auto change as new conversations start?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”