New to phpbb

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
.Josh

New to phpbb

Post by .Josh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Hello Everything,
I've been running on vbulletin for some time and it was for my gaming clan. I stopped for a while due to commitments and other stuff going off in my life as I just couldn't spend the time I wanted to. I'm recently wanting to get back into gaming and getting my clan website and forum back up and running but I've came across the vbulletin 4 uses php version 7.1 which isn't supported on the server host. I'm not really wanting to spend loads of money on getting an upgrade as it is really pricey. I've came across phpbb and a nice theme I would purchase but I'm just wanting to know some details before I take the step if anyone could help me ?

1. How much can you customize on phpbb? as I can do my own graphics can most if not all can be changed?
2. What sort of mods does phpbb have and where can they be located?
3. How good is phpbb or is it worth paying for other things?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: New to phpbb

Post by david63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:27 am

.Josh wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:34 pm
How much can you customize on phpbb?
As much, or as little, as you want - the sky is the limit
.Josh wrote:
What sort of mods does phpbb have and where can they be located?
phpBB does not have MODs any more they are called extensions. You can find them in the CDB or in the Extension in Development forum
.Josh wrote:
How good is phpbb
That is subjective but the answer you will get on here is that we think that it is very good
.Josh wrote:
is it worth paying for other things
That is up to you
.Josh wrote:
and a nice theme I would purchase
Why purchase a style when there are dozens available on here for free?
.Josh wrote:
php version 7.1 which isn't supported on the server host.
One point to be aware of is that sooner or later you will have to upgrade your server to at least 7.1 and probably greater. In fact the next version of phpBB (3.3) will not run on anything less than PHP7.1
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

.Josh

Post by .Josh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

My hosting provider is on php 7.1,7.2,7.3 and 7.4. I've just downloaded PHPBB 3.2.8. When's this next upgrade coming out

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 am

.Josh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am
My hosting provider is on php 7.1,7.2,7.3 and 7.4. I've just downloaded PHPBB 3.2.8. When's this next upgrade coming out
It's not even in RC stage and there's no release timetable.
The most precise answer is: When it's ready.
The bottom line line is: if you are going to use phpBB, install the latest version, which you have downloaded already.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”