How do you guys search for parts in HTML files?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Dan Stylez

How do you guys search for parts in HTML files?

Post by Dan Stylez » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm

Just wondering what people use to search for parts in HTML files?

For example, I'm currently trying to see how many of the template files in Prosilver have: class="headerspace"

I could open them all up one by one, but there are 119 files so would take a while, the little search box in Windows doesn't find any, even if I just put "headerspace" but if I search the folder that the CSS files are in - it has no problems finding things in the CSS files.

Surely there is a quicker way :?:
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: How do you guys search for parts in HTML files?

Post by david63 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Many text editors have a "Search files" option where you can select a folder to be searched. Cannot live without that feature.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Yep, as David said any good code editor will achieve this. Atom has quite a nice 'find in project' feature for this:
10d1d48fdeb10cad002c0cdabbe9c16a.png
There are standalone programs such as Fileseek that can do this too :)

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks guys,
It appears that Notepad++ also has that feature built in and right at the top of the search heading too :oops: god knows how I've missed that,

I'll give Atom a try as there is a niggling bug with Notepad++ where sometimes if I have 3 files open to edit, after saving them and closing Notepad++ the 3 files are totally blank :lol:
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 pm

any decent text editor will also allow you to open as many files as you wish all at one time and then search them all for text etc.
mine does not have the directory search but I can highlite all the files in the folder and open them all at once.

then, I search for my text and click all files. it also has the search and replace function as well.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Dan Stylez wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm
I'll give Atom a try as there is a niggling bug with Notepad++ where sometimes if I have 3 files open to edit, after saving them and closing Notepad++ the 3 files are totally blank :lol:
I've never encountered that with Notepad++. If it did that I'd be looking for another editor. Just out of curiosity, which OS are you running it on?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am

In case you're unable to install/unpack third party software most operating systems come with such a tool, too:
  • on Windows use findstr on the command line
  • On Unix use find on the shell
You should use the board search - questions like these are asked again and again, i.e. Tool to search for code.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am

Dan Stylez wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm
Just wondering what people use to search for parts in HTML files?

For example, I'm currently trying to see how many of the template files in Prosilver have: class="headerspace"

I could open them all up one by one, but there are 119 files so would take a while, the little search box in Windows doesn't find any, even if I just put "headerspace" but if I search the folder that the CSS files are in - it has no problems finding things in the CSS files.

Surely there is a quicker way :?:
Are you telling me that until now you have produced your works not being aware of basic tools for programming and their use?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 am

Gumboots wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm
Dan Stylez wrote:
I've never encountered that with Notepad++. If it did that I'd be looking for another editor. Just out of curiosity, which OS are you running it on?
Same here Notepad++ ftw
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Want me to port a style to 3.2.x etc. contact me here or on twitter.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm

3Di wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am
not being aware of basic tools for programming and their use
Religious tunnel vision:
Dan Stylez wrote:
god knows how I've missed that
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Regarding Notepad++ and unexpectedly blank files, I've never encountered that myself. But I see https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/no ... ssues/6153 which suggests that others users have seen that kind of result, and it's being attributed to the automatic backup feature. (And https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/no ... ssues/6133 suggesting it may not be resolved yet, despite efforts.)

I happen to have already disabled the automatic backup in preferences, because the automatic backup can cause errors in long macro executions. e.g. If the automatic backup happens to execute in the midst of a "run to end of file" macro execution, it can subtly or not-so-subtly cause errors in the transformation the macro is performing. So you might try disabling the automatic backup for one or both of these reasons.

edit: I'm talking about the "Enable session snapshot and periodic backup", which is enabled by default in new Notepad++ installations.
Last edited by EA117 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Might be why I've never had a problem. I've never used the auto backup either. I just have it set to remember which files I was using, and that seems to be fine.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:42 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 pm
any decent text editor will also allow you to open as many files as you wish all at one time and then search them all for text etc.
mine does not have the directory search but I can highlite all the files in the folder and open them all at once.
If you are doing a lot of text searches I'd suggest giving Notepad++ a try. When you search a directory and it's subs it lists the file(s) and the line of code for all instances. You can then click that specific line and it will open the document on that line.
Attachments
2019-11-09.png
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Solutions offered are usually also valid regarding searching for a specific text in php-files or in SQL.
Although I also use Notepad++, I prefer using a file manager which has a lot of inbuilt utilities. (and it's Windows on my side, no Mac).

The one I use is not free , it's actually shareware (more precise nagware, forcing the user to press a designated button (1,2 or 3) at startup) but fully functional. In-built features are FTP, text search, fileviewer (including editor), file-compare, directory compare, archive viewer, USB installation (a necessity for me), quite a lot of plugins, very configurable, and lots more ...
Since it's strictly not free, I'm not going to name it but it should be easy to find using a search for file commanders in wikipedia. The name had to be changed many years ago due to Microsoft objecting to the use of "Windows" in it's name (in all honesty, Microsoft was very gracious in allowing a transition time and offering help and payment for a a new domainname and the transfer).

I've tried a couple of those softwares and most of them are similar in functionality but ease of use will depend on personal preference. I've stuck with one since around 1994 or 1995.

The bottom line is that there is no best solution, but many very good solutions, whether it's a dedicated program (which you'll need for very large files) or an (almost) all-in-one solution.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”