How do you guys search for parts in HTML files?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Dan Stylez

Re: How do you guys search for parts in HTML files?

Post by Dan Stylez » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Gumboots wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm
Dan Stylez wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:26 pm
I'll give Atom a try as there is a niggling bug with Notepad++ where sometimes if I have 3 files open to edit, after saving them and closing Notepad++ the 3 files are totally blank :lol:
I've never encountered that with Notepad++. If it did that I'd be looking for another editor. Just out of curiosity, which OS are you running it on?
Sorry for the late reply,

Windows 8.1 and Notepad++ v7.7 32-bit, first started happening after an update last summer, none of the updates since have fixed it nor has a reinstall, the same thing happens when I used it on my laptop too so thankfully it's not a disk drive problem.
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 pm

3Di wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am
Dan Stylez wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm
Just wondering what people use to search for parts in HTML files?

For example, I'm currently trying to see how many of the template files in Prosilver have: class="headerspace"

I could open them all up one by one, but there are 119 files so would take a while, the little search box in Windows doesn't find any, even if I just put "headerspace" but if I search the folder that the CSS files are in - it has no problems finding things in the CSS files.

Surely there is a quicker way :?:
Are you telling me that until now you have produced your works not being aware of basic tools for programming and their use?
Yep :D I don't make major changes so most of the time I already know which html files the bits I'm looking for will be in and then use CTRL+F in the file, I've never really trusted folder searches on computers as they often throw up inaccurate results so always preferred to manually search so I know the result is accurate... I don't even trust the "find & replace all" option so I like to do it myself so I know it's done properly. :D

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 pm

EA117 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Regarding Notepad++ and unexpectedly blank files, I've never encountered that myself. But I see https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/no ... ssues/6153 which suggests that others users have seen that kind of result, and it's being attributed to the automatic backup feature. (And https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/no ... ssues/6133 suggesting it may not be resolved yet, despite efforts.)

I happen to have already disabled the automatic backup in preferences, because the automatic backup can cause errors in long macro executions. e.g. If the automatic backup happens to execute in the midst of a "run to end of file" macro execution, it can subtly or not-so-subtly cause errors in the transformation the macro is performing. So you might try disabling the automatic backup for one or both of these reasons.

edit: I'm talking about the "Enable session snapshot and periodic backup", which is enabled by default in new Notepad++ installations.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've turned this off and will see how it goes :D

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Dan Stylez wrote:

For example, I'm currently trying to see how many of the template files in Prosilver have: class="headerspace"

I could open them all up one by one, but there are 119 files so would take a while, the little search box in Windows doesn't find any, even if I just put "headerspace" but if I search the folder that the CSS files are in - it has no problems finding things in the CSS files.

Try Notepad++

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:17 pm

He is already using Notepad++. ;)

JLA

Post by JLA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Gumboots wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:17 pm
He is already using Notepad++. ;)
OH ok. I agree it’s a great program. That and beyond compare are two favorites and save oh so much time.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Haven't tried the second one, but WinMerge is pretty good for basic comparisons and edits.

JLA

Post by JLA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Gumboots wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm
Haven't tried the second one, but WinMerge is pretty good for basic comparisons and edits.
I’ve not tried Winmerge. We were introduced to beyond compare about 13 years ago through another project that we had going on. It was very helpful for doing some manual code upgrading on a different platform that we were working on. The project manager of that platform told us about it as a suggestion for the upgrade to go smoother. Been a tremendous timesaver for not only upgrades but troubleshooting as well.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 pm

JLA wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm
I’ve not tried Winmerge.
Looking at the screenshots of Beyond compare one thing that is popping out I noticed is three file comparison which is something I would find useful. The edited file in one pane, the unedited older version and the unedited new version. I always comment stuff well but I often find myself going back and doing comparison of the older unedited file just to double check.

Winmerge does everything I need it to do so I'm not sure that feature is worth $60. ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 am

Dan Stylez wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 pm
3Di wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am
Dan Stylez wrote:

Are you telling me that until now you have produced your works not being aware of basic tools for programming and their use?
Yep :D .. snip ..
I see.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 pm

It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of, the reliance of using shortcut tools is not a good habit to get into.

I mean, if you look around this site you will see some styles/extensions that have been submitted and within a month of being validated have 3 or more update fixes.
Some of these fixes are for the simplest of things that could have been spotted with a thorough check before submitting.

A few even love to use !important in their CSS, I've been doing styles for over 10 years and started off with platforms that only allowed CSS edits so quickly learnt that 99% of the time there is a way to avoid using !important.

Take the use of "emulators" some people test their work and say "yep it works" - if you tell them it doesn't work... they'll say your device is at fault, because the emulator never lies.
I test my work with a Windows XP laptop, a Windows 7 laptop, a Windows 10 laptop, a Windows 8.1 pc using various new and old versions of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge,
Then for portable devices a Nokia Lumia 530 Windows phone, a Samsung Galaxy J5 phone, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, a HP Stream 11 Notebook and an iPhone 7.
I use emulators too but actually using a handful of devices to properly check gives customers more confidence.

Another example is there is an extension on here somewhere where the author swore that it was not conflicting with an extension, the chap installing it said there was a problem, even a member of the phpBB team pointed out that there was an problem with the authors extension and even pointed it out to him - the author was not interested in fixing it.

An appalling attitude, here install some of my work - it works fine... find a fault? oh that's not my problem... I won't fix it for ya, you're on ya own.
Some of these people are charging money for their work too.

If someone installed a HifiKabin extension and found a problem with it - even if he's busy he'll soon get back to you with a fix or tell you how to fix it - this attitude would certainly inspire someone to pay money for his services.

For the class="headerspace" I'll trust the result of the html editors find in folder setting but for anything more important than that - I'd still rather do at least a quick manual check myself just to be certain.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 am

Definitely nothing to be ashamed of. I don't share your choices, that's all, I respect all schools of thought.
Of course, you take me back to the past with almost all your methods, many years at a time. :)
Everything about other authors seems to me irrelevant in this context.
Here´s the method I use, with another editor though: viewtopic.php?p=15359391#p15359391
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

Return to “phpBB Discussion”