Publish phpBB with how many users, topics and posts?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Canoran

Publish phpBB with how many users, topics and posts?

Post by Canoran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm

In this forum I have always found concrete help and advice without ever wasting too much time on useless talk.
I hope so this time too, even if the question is not technical.

I have prepared a board with 8 sections, 60 forums each with title, description and avatars, all very detailed.

But now it's empty, there are no users, topics and posts.
What to do in this phase?

Is it better to publish in this way or create a hundred users first, a dozen topics for each forum (10x60 = 600) and a dozen posts for each thread (10x600 = 6.000)?

Can you tell me if there are service companies that do this kind of work, in Italian in my case?

Thank you for your help.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Publish phpBB with how many users, threads and posts?

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm

You mean you've made all this stuff but you have no users yet?

Hate to say it, but I think you've gone about it all wrong (in my opinion). Making 480 forums when you have no content yet is nuts. You should start small and as you build content you gradually subdivide forums into areas that are more popular.

What on earth are all the forums about? Even some of the biggest, most popular sites only have a tenth of those number of forums.

You'll need literally thousands of topics before it even looks like it's barely in use. It'll look deserted for months and months and that means it'll be super hard to get users. It's better to get people while it's small and then expand when the time is right.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Personally I don't think its a bad thing to have the sections and forums there all ready

Although you do have a lot!

With good wording google could index them and start to get some results in search etc although this takes time

But the forums will look empty!

I wouldn't create topics/postings I would concentrate on getting it online and interact with any users that join and keep them active

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi KevC, thank you for your answer.

I tink there is a misanderstand, you have talked about 480 forum
KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm
Making 480 forums when you have no content yet is nuts.
But I have talked about
Canoran wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm
I have prepared a board with 8 sections, 60 forums
They are just 8 sections and 60 forum globaly. ;)

I was thinking to find somebody who can write the contents, means more or less 600 topics and 6.000 posts for all 60 forums.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 pm

You said
8 sections, 60 forums each
That means 60 in each of the 8 = 480.

Even 60 is way too many (might help to say what it's about).

You should have about 10-16 max with that number of categories.

Even with 60 you need 600 posts just to have 10 in each to make it look vaguely busy. That's an awful lot of posts.

Faking content like that is a risk you take. If the real users find out they might not be happy. It's your site, you're supposed to know the most about whatever the subject is so you should be able to think of the content. Or get some friends who also know the subject to post as well. You need to get conversations going that people will join in with. BUt the flip side is if you're the only poster, it looks a bit lonely.

Getting new members is by far the hardest thing to do, don't make it harder by having too many forums.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 pm
Even 60 is way too many (might help to say what it's about).
Of course...

Breefly, the web project regarding a small area of a 20 countries, globaly 50.000 people.

Two CMS:
- Joomla! for local news-magazine;
- phpBB for community and discussions.

In phpBB there are:
- 8 sections, 4 reserved for the staff and 4 for users;
- in the staff section there are 20 forums about the project;
- in the user area there are 40 forums, 5 about presentations, forum rules etc. 15 about general meters (events, turism, culture, love, family, school etc) the other 20 each one about a town/country.

That's all.

I'm curious to know your opinion about. ;)
Last edited by Canoran on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 pm

sakm wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 pm
Personally I don't think its a bad thing to have the sections and forums there all ready

Although you do have a lot!

With good wording google could index them and start to get some results in search etc although this takes time
An interesting point of wiew! ;)
sakm wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 pm
But the forums will look empty!

I wouldn't create topics/postings I would concentrate on getting it online and interact with any users that join and keep them active
Yes it'e empty and absolutely not actractive. :(
This is because I have opened this topic, to have advise from experts, before investing money for creating users, topics, and posts.

Personaly I don't have enough time to manage the community, somebody else must do it.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:05 am

You are creating a board with somewhere between 60 and 480 forums and you don't have time to manage it? I think this is not a recipe for success.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:28 am

I doubt google will index it with no content. it certainly won't rank it well for search returns etc.

google wants content because that is what viewers want. they don't want to have to wade through even 60 forums looking for content and not find any.

I agree, if you don't have time to manage your forum, why are you trying to start one especially on that scale.

I think you need to rethink this project .

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 am

Hi Lumpy Burgertushie,
of course google wants content and not empty CMS.
Even for this I am thinking it's better to publish it with some registrered users, threads and posts (100, 600 and 6000, more or less).

How did you do when you published your boards?
Did you published them empty or with a good number of topics and contents?

This project needs some tens cooperators: webmasters, graphics, DB esperts, journalists, photogrphers, videomakers, administrators, moderators, animators etc. I can't do everything on myself, of course.
Months ago when the first idea come up I was the only one was thinking about the projet, now we are almost ten are thinking and working on il.
In this case building team is not an easy job, even because most of them must be volounteers.
This will be my main task: find, select and recruiting valid and talented volounteers ;)

Have a nice week end :)

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 am

Hi stevemaury,
manage the project or manage the board?
On my point of view at this stage is better manage the projiect.
Even because the board is not published yet.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Publish phpBB with how many users, topics and posts?

Post by KevC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:18 pm

There's a huge topic here on how to get members
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=362219

It is by far the hardest thing to do. You need some content to get peope attracted but you have way too many forums to make that very easy.
Canoran wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm
- in the user area there are 40 topics, 5 about presentations, forum rules etc. 15 about general meters (events, turism, culture, love, family, school etc) the other 20 each one about a town/country.
It would help to get the terminology right so we're all talking about the same thing. This thing we're posting in now is a topic. Do you mean 40 topics or 40 forums? They are very different things.

I see no point in forums on tourism and love and schools etc. What are they for? It's just more empty forums that need filling. Just make one called general chat. If you end up with 50 topics about schools then make a schools forum. Until then they are all utterly pointless. Trying to guess what people might want to write about is forum suicide. Stick to what you know. Stick to the subject of the site. Keep it concise.

Equally there is little to no point in having forums for each town or country. Why do they need to be separate? At a push you could use topic prefixes with each country on if it really makes a difference, but I suspect not. Don't over think how far you need to granulate the forums. If separate sections are needed, they will become apparent as the site develops.
Cheap UK Hosting

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:11 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:18 pm
Do you mean 40 topics or 40 forums? They are very different things.
Of course I was tolking about forums. Strange mistake... now has been correct.

About other things I will replay later.

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 am

KevC wrote:
There's a huge topic here on how to get members
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=362219

It is by far the hardest thing to do. You need some content to get peope attracted but you have way too many forums to make that very easy.
Thnak you for the link, I have seen 30 pages, I will read it, I'm curious to read many different opinions and experiences.

CONTENTS, this is the topic of this thread!
How many threads and posts needed before publish the board for good appeal and attraction of the users, could be anough an everage of aboiut 10 threads with 10 posts for each forum?
KevC wrote:
I see no point in forums on tourism and love and schools etc. What are they for? It's just more empty forums that need filling. Just make one called general chat. If you end up with 50 topics about schools then make a schools forum. Until then they are all utterly pointless. Trying to guess what people might want to write about is forum suicide. Stick to what you know. Stick to the subject of the site. Keep it concise.
There is one forum called "General discussions", on your point of view could it be anough this one for publish a forum?
KevC wrote:
Equally there is little to no point in having forums for each town or country. Why do they need to be separate? At a push you could use topic prefixes with each country on if it really makes a difference, but I suspect not. Don't over think how far you need to granulate the forums. If separate sections are needed, they will become apparent as the site develops.
Good question!
On my point of view, for keep separate discussion about each town.
I'm non not an axpert of boards and never consider prefix.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

Canoran wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 am
How many threads and posts needed before publish the board for good appeal and attraction of the users, could be anough an everage of aboiut 10 threads with 10 posts for each forum?
No one knows the answer to that. But you need something. And the more forums you have, the more you need. Objectively look at the site and say to yourself, if you stumbled across it, would you join?
Canoran wrote:
There is one forum called "General discussions", on your point of view could it be anough this one for publish a forum?
Yes. There is absolutely no reason to break that subject down in to subsectons of schools and family etc. They're irrelevant to the site.
Canoran wrote:
On my point of view, for keep separate discussion about each town.
I'm non not an axpert of boards and never consider prefix.
But also consider whether having separate towns helps or hinders the content. Especially at the start. If you make a forum for a particular town and no one from that town ever registers, you have an empty forum or you have one person talking to them self because no one else from that town is on the site. Keep it very very general to begin with. If you get 50 topics asking about one town then make a forum for that town.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “phpBB Discussion”