Publish phpBB with how many users, topics and posts?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Canoran

Re: Publish phpBB with how many users, topics and posts?

Post by Canoran » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am

KevC wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am
No one knows the answer to that. But you need something. And the more forums you have, the more you need. Objectively look at the site and say to yourself, if you stumbled across it, would you join?
Dipends on the content. If it is empty no, if I read more than one intresting discussion the answer is YES!
This is the main reason because I'm thinking about threads and posts.
KevC wrote:
Yes. There is absolutely no reason to break that subject down in to subsectons of schools and family etc. They're irrelevant to the site.
An original and interesting point of wiew, but I can't trust it.
It mens the best way for publish a board could be to open it with just ONE forum and no more. :o
KevC wrote:
But also consider whether having separate towns helps or hinders the content. Especially at the start. If you make a forum for a particular town and no one from that town ever registers, you have an empty forum or you have one person talking to them self because no one else from that town is on the site. Keep it very very general to begin with. If you get 50 topics asking about one town then make a forum for that town.
Of course is more easy tu publish 10 threads in only one forum, then 10 threads in every 20 different forums.
But... will it be more attractive to look at the only one forum of the cities :?:
Or will it be more actractive to see a forum of your city with 10 thread where discussing specific topics of that city :?:

in any case, yours are useful insights, thank you. ;)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Canoran wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am
It mens the best way for publish a board could be to open it with just ONE forum and no more
Yes of course it can. If that's the only one you need.

You still haven't really explained what the site is about to judge what forums you need but if you have a general discussion section, that is plenty to catch anything that doesn't fit the rest of the proper subject forums. You do not need to granulate it down to the ones you've suggested.

Look on here. We're for phpBB support so we have forums for that and then one for general discussion. That's it. We don't need schools, family, love, sport, tv etc etc etc. They're irrelevant.
Canoran wrote:
But... will it be more attractive to look at the only one forum of the cities :?:
Or will it be more actractive to see a forum of your city with 10 thread where discussing specific topics of that city
But that second idea relies on you having content for it. You might not have that and the people that sign up might not live in that town to have it either.

Go ahead and make the site live, see what happens. If you have too many forums though it'll be a very slow start. Less is more.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Canoran

Post by Canoran » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 pm

KevC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm
Canoran wrote:
It mens the best way for publish a board could be to open it with just ONE forum and no more
Yes of course it can. If that's the only one you need.
Never seen in my live something like that :!:
Did you open some board with just one forum :?:
KevC wrote:
You still haven't really explained what the site is about to judge what forums you need but if you have a general discussion section, that is plenty to catch anything that doesn't fit the rest of the proper subject forums. You do not need to granulate it down to the ones you've suggested.
I have axplaned it, may be you forget, have a look on the first page, please.
KevC wrote:
Look on here. We're for phpBB support so we have forums for that and then one for general discussion. That's it. We don't need schools, family, love, sport, tv etc etc etc. They're irrelevant.
:shock:
What's mean!? This is a technical forum.
KevC wrote:
But that second idea relies on you having content for it. You might not have that and the people that sign up might not live in that town to have it either.

Go ahead and make the site live, see what happens. If you have too many forums though it'll be a very slow start. Less is more.
At this stage doesn't exist one thread nor one post, but I'have got anough time for create them. ;)

At the right time it will be publish, may be not with 60 forum but much less.

Thanks ;)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Canoran wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 pm
Did you open some board with just one forum :?:
I opened my last one with (if I remember rightly) 4-6 forums. As those sections got more topics I subdivided as and when necessary and now it has around 20.
Canoran wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 pm
At this stage doesn't exist one thread nor one post, but I'have got anough time for create them. ;)
Then I think you're answering your own question. If you haven't got time it's not worth doing. When you run a forum, especially when you start it, you need to be there every day at least once or twice to help things along, post replies, move topics, make sure spam isn't getting through etc etc.

Or spend 30 mins making some posts and then open it up and see what happens. Without any publicity though it'll hard to attract people. Getting a forum going is really hard work for the first 6-12 months unless you happen to have something that is very 'now' and you're the first site to have it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”