Is There A Faster Way To Apply Permissions?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Mulsiphix

Is There A Faster Way To Apply Permissions?

Post by Mulsiphix » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm

On my webhost, when I restore a backup, file permissions are all over the place. My FTP (FileZilla FTP) and Cpanel offer ways to change the permissions of files and folders in the directory I am currently looking at. So setting the permissions of all files will be a time consuming and tedious task. I'm curious if anybody knows of a faster way to set the permissions of files and folders?

Shared Hosting
FTP Access, Cpanel Access, SSH Access
Desired Permissions:
  • 644 - All Files
  • 755 - All Directories
  • 777 - files directory
  • 777 - cache directory
  • 777 - store directory
  • 777 - images/avatars/upload directory
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Is There A Faster Way To Apply Permissions?

Post by david63 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:29 pm

You can normally do then recursively
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:51 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:29 pm
You can normally do then recursively
With Cpanel, Filezilla, both, or normal with your chosen method? If it is the latter, what is your chosen method? If it is any of the prior, how?

How can one even tell something to set all file permissions to 644 throughout an expansive file hierarchy? Wouldn't something recursive change folder permissions and file permissions alike? If this is possible with Filezilla or Cpanel, I'd love to learn how.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 pm

No idea how Filezilla works as I don't use it but all the ftp clients that I have used have a checkbox to apply permissions recursively. So just selct a folder and apply the permissions - it is as simple as that.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm

I've been messing around with SSH, trying to figure out what the Linux commands would be to set the permissions that way. Right as I figure it out, you respond and I head back into Filezilla and start examining the program a second time. This time I had no trouble finding exactly what I was looking for.

Last night I had only right-clicked on a file and selected "File Attributes". This produces a menu, but it lacks the recursive area at the bottom.

Image Image

Today I tried rick-clicking on a folder, selecting "File Attributes", and it produced a menu with the recursive area.

Image Image

Which is a wonderful relief. Sometimes you need somebody to just point you back in the direction you came from :oops:. Than you david63 :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”