Emojis

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
meetdilip

Emojis

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:00 am

I think the smilies we have here are dated. A lot of software are using emoji-based smilies. That would be good here too. Even font awesome have their own smilies

https://fontawesome.com/icons?d=gallery&q=smile

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Emojis

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:53 am

😃

😘

🏂

Just copy/paste

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:12 am

Or install an emoji keyboard like with iOS or Windows, presumably Android does them as well?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:58 am

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:53 am
😃

😘

🏂

Just copy/paste
From where and what should I copy paste ?

PS : Neutral tone

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Mick wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:12 am
Or install an emoji keyboard like with iOS or Windows, presumably Android does them as well?
Any options for Ubuntu 18.04 ?

To be honest, it should be refined on forum itself. I am not an emoji person and rarely use it. But I do not smile like this :)
Last edited by meetdilip on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:02 pm

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:19 pm

There was an extension in development, but that has been abandoned. You could always put in a request and see if anyone else wants to take it up.

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Can't we just resize the already available free license emoji and replace the current one as images ? I hope a facelift is a good thing.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 pm

I don’t see the need for an extension and copying and pasting as every user should already have them on their desktops, mobiles and pads in 2019.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇨🇦 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 😄 etc.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:06 pm

meetdilip wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Any options for Ubuntu 18.04 ?
I think it's usually referred to as "an emoji keyboard" if you're googling for it. Windows 10 has one built in, Android has one built in, iOS has one built in, OSX has one built in... and I believe Ubuntu 18 has one built in, too.

Indeed it's important that phpBB support emojis, which it already does. Replacing the "smilies" picker with an emoji-based picker is fine, and there is no technical challenge preventing this. But the importance of emoji in communication has already caused all the current platforms to incorporate emoji entry into their keyboards. Having an emoji picker in phpBB might be "handy", but in the end just duplicates the ability we already have through the Windows / iOS / Android / etc. emoji entry. Which is something people use for all applications, not just web sites or phpBB.

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:08 pm

I had to use a few forums of open source projects. The good thing is most of them are phpBB. Good, right ? But a lot of people like me have habit of typing codes for smilies : ) for smile is supposed to be a simple expression. No need to go to another window, take emoji website, come with it and paste in the editor. All we have to do is make use of emoji with supportive license and ship with the core. It is a request from someone who like to see phpBB grow more :)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

No, you just click an emoji in the emoji keyboard you already have, if you haven’t search for one. No opening new windows and copying and pasting required.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:43 pm

meetdilip wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:08 pm
But a lot of people like me have habit of typing codes for smilies :) for smile is supposed to be a simple expression. No need to go to another window, take emoji website, come with it and paste in the editor.
Okay, better understanding the context. The desire is "text shortcuts which currently map to smilies, give us a way to map those to emoji instead. And maybe even make that the default in future phpBB releases."

phpBB does currently support text-based shortcodes for invoking the emoji, such as:

:+1: :+1:
:house: :house:
:woman: :woman:

(See the $aliases array in /vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/Emoji/Configurator.php, if you like scrolling past column 175200.)

The phpBB smiley codes take precedence; i.e. you have to delete the phpBB smiley for :smile: before you will see the emoji 😀 displayed in response to :smile:.

But no, there is no straight line between "If I remove the phpBB smiley configured to replace :), how can I define an emoji to become invoked when someone types :)?" That sounds like some JoshyPHP-level info to me. If it's possible at all, given that the :) text contains one of the shortcode delimiters.

It's not what you're really after, but the closest I think you can get "out of the box" with phpBB right now is to steal a PNG of the Twemoji representation (or whichever representation you prefer) and upload it as your phpBB smiley image for :) on the board you want to behave this way. Not ideal, since it will be an image rather than text or SVG; but close.

You might consider posting this to the Ideas section. e.g. "Enhance phpBB smilies configuration to support replacing a smiley code with text, in addition to being able to replace it with an image."

So that the desired emoji character could be entered as the text replacement for :) instead of specifying an image, or even other text sequences like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for :shrug:, etc. Leaving open the door for whether mapping the default smiley codes to emojis ends up also being the "out of the box" default in a future phpBB release or not.

Unless we're still off base for your actual intention. 😜

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:46 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:19 pm
There was an extension in development, but that has been abandoned. You could always put in a request and see if anyone else wants to take it up.
We'll be publishing our very own soon. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:41 am

Please tell me why we can't use more " recent " styled smiles in the core. If you want custom smilies, I can try drawing some.
cool.png
cool.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 370 times
smile.png
smile.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Return to “phpBB Discussion”