BEST SEO extensions or how to for 3.2.x

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
mastnacek

BEST SEO extensions or how to for 3.2.x

Post by mastnacek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello. I am looking for the most up-to-date and best working SEO extension for version 3.2.x. I also want to ask if there is something going on for better SEO in version 3.3?
Now im using SEO-4-ALL
and i was tried
phpBB3 SEO Sitemap
SEO Metadata 1.3.0-beta3 ( looks as best which i tried )
Seo Meta Description

Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Re: BEST SEO extensions or how to for 3.2.x

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:33 pm

The best SEO, is your forum content.

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello, that i know, but there are some ways how it improve, isnt it?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:54 pm

This subject has been discussed to death on this board and there are numerous topics about it. I see little point in another topic which will just be regurgitating the "same old same"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:32 am

david63, you are right. But who can read all that topics with old informations :P

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:40 am

the "old information" about this is that you don't need any SEO extension at all.
you need content. that is what google wants. they don't care about "friendly" urls etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 am

Guys thanks for replies. So i need no sitemap.xml forexample? In any case its better for me not using another extension. I like pure and clean.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:53 am

Look at it this way, you've tried 4 'SEO' extensions and you don't think any of them have improved your SEO.

There is no magic bullet to getting up the rankings otherwise everyone would use it and then it would all be cancelled out anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:04 am

Some percent improved it. But I also think it plays a role.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:07 am

The search engines are very wise to all the tricks. That's why they largely look at content now instead.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 am

Probably i have trouble. Looking into search console from google and i have this issue
Breadcrumbs > Either "name" or "item.name" should be specified
Forexample this link https://malochov.cz/viewtopic.php?t=5&start=4960

https://search.google.com/search-consol ... LqeFbUhSNg

board: https://malochov.cz

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:10 am

Yes, content is absolutely the number one factor for SEO.

Furthermore, some of the common recommended SEO strategies have the potential to actually penalise your site in the Google index and SERP ranking. Backlink trading and leaving backlinks on poor quality sites are both signals that will actually de-rank your website, as well injecting keywords that bear no relevance to the actual website content. Certain SEO strategies, like so-called SEO-friendly URLs I believe are completely useless. Google knows how to find the topic heading in phpBB posts and knows how to parse phpBB URLs.

That said, I disagree that all SEO strategies are useless. I do think there is scope to improve SEO on phpBB.

One potential improvement is to remove redundant f=# query flags in viewtopic.php URLs. Google thinks viewtopic.php?t=# is canonical but when it crawls via internal phpBB links, it sees the structure of URLs as viewtopic.php?f=#&t=#. Google does identify these links as non-canonical duplicates but I do not think they would have the same strength as backlinks as if the canonical URL viewtopic.php?t=# was the default. Also, the sheer number of these non-canonical duplicates might be a signal to Google that the site is poor quality or full of rubbish URSL and to then de-index good quality URLs. I see there is a recent pull request on GitHub to fix this issue. Amongst the good reasons to implement this change, I think it may also help SEO.

Another factor which I think is downplayed are sitemaps. I have never had a sitemap and Google had most of my board indexed. I therefore assumed like many on this board have commented that sitemaps are useless. However, in the past 6 months, a large number of pages have gradually been de-indexed. There are no crawl errors etc. When I submitted a sitemap, the number of URLs put into the sitemap immediately started jumping up again, as did the impression rate. I only have 2 weeks of data on this, the results so far are encouraging (10% more URLs in the index). It also makes the data in Google Search Console much easier to track and analyse. I intend to report back when I have more definitive data to go on.

Finally, I also suspect that while it does not directly improve SERP ranking and the number of raw impressions, SEO metadata using OpenGraph and JSON-LD etc can help click-through rates because they make links to the site more attractive and informative. This in turn would indirectly improve the SERP rank over time.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am

mastnacek wrote: โ†‘
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 am
Probably i have trouble. Looking into search console from google and i have this issue
Breadcrumbs > Either "name" or "item.name" should be specified
Forexample this link https://malochov.cz/viewtopic.php?t=5&start=4960

https://search.google.com/search-consol ... LqeFbUhSNg

board: https://malochov.cz
I have no idea what we're supposed to see since my country is blocked on your board unless I make an account. I can circumvent it using a non-transparent proxy, but then there's the problem that my Czech isn't up to par.
And I am forced to log in for that google search thing.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

mastnacek

Post by mastnacek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 am

warmweer: hello, now i unblock your country, big thanks

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:23 am

It wouldn't surprise me if blocking huge IP ranges is harming your SEO quite a bit!
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to โ€œphpBB Discussionโ€