Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
david63

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by david63 »

Marc wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:27 am
We believe that having "forum software" there will make it more clear what phpBB is.
Not convinced that after 19 years that people do not know what phpBB is that it needs explaining :roll:

Also where a board uses the default logo (as many do) then the "creating communities" makes more sense than "forum software" - which is fine for this board as that is what this board is about.

There seems, to me, to be a confusion between what phpbb.com use as a logo and what phpBB should package as a default logo.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
LIONHAERT

Post by LIONHAERT »

The new version has been installed and tried
thank you
But I want something from you to change the default template for the site with a modern template
Please add a topic editor other than this default to a new editor
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

KYPREO wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:04 am
Users have been actively posting likes on comments relating to the development of phpBB 3.3.x on Github but it's not good enough for phpBB itself? Go figure. Post liking/reactions has to be one of the most commonly requested features here and was the number 1 most well-received feature addition on my board since file attachments were introduced in 2007.
KYPREO, "likes" have their place. For social media, such as Facebook, it is literally used to create a dopamine effect. While dopamine is naturally produced in our brains from receiving "likes", it is also very addictive and causes people to crave and have a dependency on it. It is no different than a person being hooked on gambling or illegal drugs such as heroine, crack cocaine, etc. All of those create dopamine. This is what causes people to always want more, always crave getting "likes", and in turn keeps everyone that has developed an unhealthy dependency on social media websites to keep going back. It is a business strategy so that you are exposed to advertisements, so that you remain tracked and monitored based on your behaviour and interests from what you do online, and to remain the product of corporations through addictive methods.

The "likes" have their place. If you are the product, and a corporation wants to get you hooked on using their service so that they can get money out of you, then "likes" are a great idea. It is deceptive exploitation. Here on phpBB, when it comes to deciding on features that are proposed to be core-components, then voting is acceptable. It gives a general idea of what everyone wants based on feedback through pros and cons, along with if they wish for a feature to be added in the core. For general purpose posts, like the one I'm making right now, it is pointless. If anyone really wants it as a feature, there are extensions. As for "reactions", that's just another way for people to be lazy. It contributes nothing to a community. Once again, if you want emoji reactions, I'm sure there's an extension for that, too. And if there isn't, you can always ask for it.

Since we're talking about going back to your attachment days in 2007, I've been using phpBB since March 18, 2003. I'm an old-time user, too.
Is this for you? Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Marc wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:27 am
david63 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:43 am
Why has the phpBB logo changed from "creating communities" to "forum software"?
The logo was changed in line with our updated logo page. We believe that having "forum software" there will make it more clear what phpBB is. ;)
Prosilver (3.3.0-RC1) does not conform to the strict spacing guidelines specified on the logo page :P
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Heo32 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 am
meetdilip wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:15 am
Does it have a like button ?
This isn't Facebook or YouTube. This is phpBB.
Before being so rude, it would have been great to check when I joined this forum and when you did.

Thank you @KYPREO for the answer :grateful:
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

meetdilip wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 am
Before being so rude, it would have been great to check when I joined this forum and when you did.

Thank you @Heo32 for the answer :grateful:
I don't think you're being rude. You're obviously one of the social media types, so I answered your question. You're welcome. Besides, looking at the list of changes, and the history of people regularly making requests for a "like" feature built into the core of phpBB only to continuously have their suggestion rejected time and time again, you would (and should) know that it has not, and never will be, added since it is more appropriate to have it be an extension.

You want to compare our registration dates here at phpBB? Ok then. On this account I registered it in 2017. On my old account, which I don't use anymore, I registered in 2005. So if you want to figure out who's been here longer, that would be me and I have you beat by 9 years. Big whoop dee doo. I've also been using phpBB for 17 years now.

I see phpBB 3.2.9 RC1 was released today. Great job, and thanks, Marc and the development team. I'm guessing it will be the last of the 3.2.x branch since it was originally planned to be at EOL last month.

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Now I get it. Editing my post in quote. You are one of the web trolls people like to stay away from. Thanks for letting me know.

And, I have stopped saying " thanks ", " so nice of you ", " beautiful " etc on real life as well. Mainly because I don't want people to get attracted to me, get used to it, neither do I want to use them and make money out of them. Real life is not YouTube or Facebook, I understand.

So much for asking a simple question.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

@Heo32 likes is a core feature of a lot of other forums software- not sure why your fixation with Facebook and how is it related
It is also one of the most wanted features for phpbb and has a lot of requests.

Personally I prefer reactions.
Just for information sake, look at the huge and positive reaction when XenForo added reactions to core: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/r ... A1.154898/

Back on subject, almost all of the new features were pushed to phpBB 4. As that version is also expected to include a new template and major improvements of the core, not sure about the ETA.
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

meetdilip wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:07 am
So much for asking a simple question.
As I said, it was a simple question that has been rejected over and over. If you're so informed here, based on your 5 years of experience, you should already know what the answer was going to be. Little hint: it hasn't changed.
koraldon wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:58 am
@Heo32 likes is a core feature of a lot of other forums software- not sure why your fixation with Facebook and how is it related
I never claimed to have any fixation with Facebook, so I don't know what you are talking about. Facebook is a social media platform which I know has a "like" feature which I used as an example explaining why they use it. It is a business strategy that encourages dopamine addiction and self-assurance for those with low self-esteem and insecurity issues that seek approval from strangers over the Internet. A lot of forum software may have it built into the core, but not here. As I said, there are phpBB extensions for "like" features. Neither you nor meetdilip or anyone else wanting that feature built into the core are being inconvenienced. There are "like" extension available. So choose your poison and go with it.
koraldon wrote:
It is also one of the most wanted features for phpbb and has a lot of requests.
Wrong. According to the phpBB Ideas section, the most wanted features for phpBB are located under the Top Ideas. There is nothing listed there regarding any "like" features to be implimented. If I'm wrong, please correct me and show me your source.
koraldon wrote:
Just for information sake, look at the huge and positive reaction when XenForo added reactions to core: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/r ... A1.154898/
You know what makes phpBB so great? They don't introduce unnecessary bloat into the core. There's no junk or garbage code. It can be highly customized with extensions, templates, code changes (if that is what you are into), and more. You can make it anything you want. They don't put features into the core if that feature does not have tangible benefits for the majority of the users as a whole. It is coded better than paid bulletin boards out there such as vBulletin. And it is more secure than anything on the market. Best of all, it is free. It has exactly what is needed without indulging into things that would slow its performance down and serve little to no purpose. What you want is a want. What phpBB needs is what it gets. People need to respect that. Both you and meetdilip need to learn to respect that as fact.
koraldon wrote:
Back on subject, almost all of the new features were pushed to phpBB 4. As that version is also expected to include a new template and major improvements of the core, not sure about the ETA.
It will be ready when it is ready.

stevemaury wrote:
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

Great software at twice the price....
Beans: Because just saying we need to socially distance doesn't always work....
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, there is a way out: :?:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.compact.php

Thanks ..
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Talk19Zehn wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:52 pm
Hello, there is a way out: :?:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.compact.php

Thanks ..
What do you mean?
We are already fixing issues with compact() and PHP 7.3/7.4 related.

Feel free to post in the tracker the issues you may find.

Thanks.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Looking for a specific feature or alternative option?
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

@Heo32, not sure why you are so protective.
There can be more than one correct solution. I'm aware that phpBB relies on extensions more so than other solutions. But that doesn't mean that makes it the only "true design philosophy".
The main drawback is that extensions get abandoned, have conflicts with other extesions, get conflicts with future version and so on.
This is why IMHO a rich core is better than a slim core.

However, I don't automatically claim that everybody else is wrong, nor suggest that they don't respect me/others...
We can be civil.

p.s. regarding top ideas, here is one for likes viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189683
It has 81 points, more points than other ideas at "top ideas", not sure what is the algorithm behind that.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

I'd like to remind everyone that this topic is about discussion the release of 3.3.0-RC1. Please be respectful to others in this community.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

koraldon wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:10 pm
p.s. regarding top ideas, here is one for likes viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189683
It has 81 points, more points than other ideas at "top ideas", not sure what is the algorithm behind that.
Neither am I, but the number of downvotes does suggest that it's not "liked" universally.
I doubt anyone would vote against such a feature as an extension (taking into account that there are many ways to express a "like") but one of the problems is precisely "the many ways" and requests for "different ways" will probably remain.
Taking this into account: the extension "path" seems more logical than the default feature "path".
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”