Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by warmweer »

24unix wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 am
I thought a while about it, was glimpsing through the 3.3 code.

If you become PSR compliant and use CamelCase instead of the 80ies snkae_case phpBB might become an interesting softwarestack.
errr?
Naming conventions change overtime (depending on which type of language is used, and renewed insights) but implementing those is a major (correction MAJOR) overhaul, and that is planned for 4.0 but not for 3.3 which isn't a full rewrite.
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 17041
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am
but implementing those is a major (correction MAJOR) overhaul, and that is planned for 4.0 but not for 3.3 which isn't a full rewrite.
I was not aware that phpBB 4 was to be a full re-write - where have you seen that?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am
I was not aware that phpBB 4 was to be a full re-write - where have you seen that?
OK, wrong wording :oops:
Re-thinking, Overhaul, some serious rewriting but not a "full" rewrite.
There is a discussion on Area51 about naming conventions (for functions).

The point I was trying to make is that introducing a different naming convention isn't just a matter of search and replace.
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

User avatar
24unix
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by 24unix »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am
24unix wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 am
I thought a while about it, was glimpsing through the 3.3 code.

If you become PSR compliant and use CamelCase instead of the 80ies snkae_case phpBB might become an interesting softwarestack.
errr?
Naming conventions change overtime (depending on which type of language is used, and renewed insights) but implementing those is a major (correction MAJOR) overhaul, and that is planned for 4.0 but not for 3.3 which isn't a full rewrite.
Is there a way to see how 4.0 will look like?
My Extensions will currently not be compatible to the phpBB styleguide, but maybe that will change in the future?
24unix BannerManagement (WIP, 73% done) - just different from the genuine one
24unix Media (todo) - "YouTube" for phpBB
24unix Classifieds (todo) - a conversion of the Classifieds/BuySell-mod many liked and miss in 3.2

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 17041
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by david63 »

24unix wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am
Is there a way to see how 4.0 will look like?
Only by going to Github
24unix wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am
My Extensions will currently not be compatible to the phpBB styleguide, but maybe that will change in the future?
I would not hold your breath that it will be in the foreseeable future.
warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:53 am
There is a discussion on Area51 about naming conventions (for functions).
That is for Twig functions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by warmweer »

24unix wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am
Is there a way to see how 4.0 will look like?
Have a look at The Blog
and at Development
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 25653
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: The netherlands.
Name: Paul Sohier
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by Paul »

24unix wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am
warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am
24unix wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 am
I thought a while about it, was glimpsing through the 3.3 code.

If you become PSR compliant and use CamelCase instead of the 80ies snkae_case phpBB might become an interesting softwarestack.
errr?
Naming conventions change overtime (depending on which type of language is used, and renewed insights) but implementing those is a major (correction MAJOR) overhaul, and that is planned for 4.0 but not for 3.3 which isn't a full rewrite.
Is there a way to see how 4.0 will look like?
My Extensions will currently not be compatible to the phpBB styleguide, but maybe that will change in the future?
An extension will most likely not be denied for coding style if you use psr.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

User avatar
24unix
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by 24unix »

Thx for the links, and yes, they will be PSR compliant.
24unix BannerManagement (WIP, 73% done) - just different from the genuine one
24unix Media (todo) - "YouTube" for phpBB
24unix Classifieds (todo) - a conversion of the Classifieds/BuySell-mod many liked and miss in 3.2

BFeely
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by BFeely »

I just deployed phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 to my webserver, and upgraded to php7.4-fpm to run it. I didn't see any problems, but Google suddenly started giving breadcrumbs issues on for instance https://forum.dxgl.info/viewtopic.php?t=57 with the following code highlited:

Code: Select all

<a href="./index.php" itemtype="https://schema.org/Thing" itemscope="" itemprop="item" accesskey="h" data-navbar-reference="index" title="Board index"><i class="icon fa-home fa-fw"></i><span itemprop="name">Board index</span></a>
and

Code: Select all

<a href="./viewforum.php?f=4" itemtype="https://schema.org/Thing" itemscope="" itemprop="item" title="DXGL"><span itemprop="name">DXGL</span></a>
with in a <span class="crumb"> span.

The error it gave is Missing field "id" and so far has been triggered on 2 pages.

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 17041
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.0-RC1 Release

Post by david63 »

@BFeely

Have you reported it in the Bug Tracker?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”