What is the most "modern" phpBB style?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Boobi

What is the most "modern" phpBB style?

Post by Boobi »

phpBB has been here for a long time, and it's great, but I'm sure some of you would agree that it looks a bit outdated. Is there a plugin/style that turns it into a more "modern" look? Can be a paid style as well.
I saw this website with many paid themes, one of them called "Milk" which turns phpBB into a really modern looking forum:
http://preview.themeforest.net/item/mil ... 1578668483

Is it a legit website?

P_I

Re: What is the most "modern" phpBB style?

Post by P_I »

Boobi wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm
phpBB is here for a long time, and it's great, but I'm sure some of you would agree that it looks a bit outdated. Is there a plugin / style that turns it into a more "modern" look?
Isn't 'a more "modern" look' a matter of personal opinion? There are many options in Styles - Customisation Database.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Boobi

Post by Boobi »

It is, but I guess if I compare today's forums look to this phpBB forum I feel like I'm 15 years back :D (It's probably because most forums out there look different that this one, which kept its unique look, although it's responsive)

P_I

Post by P_I »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So is the definition of "modern look" IMHO.

Ultimately the board owner/administrator should choose a style that is fitting for their user base, hence the variety of styles available in the customization database (and elsewhere).

My boards might be considered "old fashioned" because we choose to use the default prosilver style but that style generally fits the users I'm targeting and the niche that we serve. Plus it makes it much easier to update if/when new phpBB versions come out.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

There are currently over 80 styles for phpBB 3.2 ib the Styles database and nine for phpBB 3.3 - with more being added daily. There are also several phpBB 3.3 styles available in the Styles in Development forum.

On top of that there is a completely new style also under development which will be released in a future version of phpBB

So in answer to your question
Boobi wrote:
Is there a plugin/style that turns it into a more "modern" look?
yes - but that depends on what you consider "more modern" to be
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what I find amusing is that what people are calling "modern" now is very similar to what was the standard before prosilver came out with the rounded corners etc.

there is nothing new is styling whether you are talking about board styles/themes or clothes etc.
style just keeps repeating itself every few years.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Boobi wrote:
I saw this website with many paid themes, one of them called "Milk" which turns phpBB into a really modern looking forum:
http://preview.themeforest.net/item/mil ... 1578668483

Is it a legit website?
Yes, Milk is what comes to mind for me too as a good example of "modern style for phpBB." Yes, themeforest.net is a legit web site for finding and purchasing Milk.

Boobi

Post by Boobi »

Thank you guys for the replies, you said ThemeForest is a good place to buy Milk theme. Are there more known websites to purchase themes?

About modern: there are forums that are easier to navigate when viewing in Mobile devices. Therefore I mean modern, not only the looks of it. Example are LinusTechTips forum: https://linustechtips.com/main/ and Tom's Hardware: https://forums.tomshardware.com/

Also about modern: the forums that I mentioned above don't use tags for everything, they're more user friendly, so for example when I want a bold text it makes it bold in the text editor without tags, same for urls, images.. and so on, they're more like Microsoft Word editing style (live editing), they also have auto draft saving. Can I have these features on phpBB as well?
Last edited by Boobi on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Boobi wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 am
Also about modern: these forums mentioned that I mentioned above don't use tags for everything, they're more user friendly, so for example when I want a bold text it makes it bold in the text editor without tags, same for urls, images.. and so on, they're more like Microsoft Word editing style (live editing), they also have auto draft saving. Can I have these features on phpBB as well?
What you are referring to is a WYSIWYG editor. There has been much discussion about WYSIWYG editors in phpBB over there years.

A WYSIWYG editor extension has just been added to the CDB but I have no experience of using it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”