Copyrights remove

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Tread

Copyrights remove

Post by Tread »

Is this allowed ? can the phpbb copyright be removed is there any benefit to having it ?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Copyrights remove

Post by HiFiKabin »

Leaving the Copyright in place acknowledges the work and effort that has gone into making the software. You are allowed to remove it but by doing to you will find that obtaining support may be harder as some members will refuse to support boards that do not display the Copyright.

Would you erase the Apple Logo on your iThing? On your TV? Your Car?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm
Would you erase the Apple Logo on your iThing? On your TV? Your Car?
Of course.
I removed the recognisable emblem on my current car because they were always stolen from my previous cars. :o

added: seriously, I would never even consider removing the logo of phpBB, nor of any original free software.
Last edited by warmweer on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Especially with the SUV and Mini Vans many people order without lettering.

But if you remove the phpBB copyright you have no respect for the many hours of free work that many people do in their spare time and no more rights for support in the various official support forums. Furthermore phpBB is free of charge. You're supposed to respect that somehow!

By the way, you can often find forums where the copyright of the style author has been removed. Or they even add their copyright, although they only changed a few colors and the header image.

In both cases it's unpleasant, disrespectful and not allowed. The same applies naturally to a displayed copyright of an extension developer.
My phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

And why do you think that it is necessary to remove it?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Tread

Post by Tread »

Cool i shall remove it then as i dont plan on needing support from phpbb there are many other boards out there that supply better support.

I did read a lot of topics in the support section and it comes across to me as some here just dont seem to keen to help in any way and i even found some rather rude comments from the staff here.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

to each his own. go ahead and remove what you want and if you can find better support for phpbb somehere other than here, good for you. I have been using and supporting phpbb since the very early days and I have never found much support for phpbb anywhere but here, either good or bad, but certainly no better than what you get here. much of the support you do find elsewhere is either very out of date or completely wrong or both.
luck,

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Tread wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Cool i shall remove it then as i dont plan on needing support from phpbb there are many other boards out there that supply better support.
As to the planning part: I doubt anyone plans on needing support but nevertheless the needs do appear regularly and judging by what I've seen over the the last 17 years or so, "customers" (I use the word in a broad sense) don't seem to be too unhappy about the level of support they receive.
But it's good to know that even better support is offered elsewhere so I guess everyone's happy.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Tread

Post by Tread »

Guess i'm lucky then i have used phpbb for the last 10 years and never seeked support until this query.

I have seen so may posts about copyright removal and none of the answers have been clear example one topic is saying yes no but another is saying yes its fine.

I had a feeling you can remove as its open source so once you have it installed your pretty much free to do as you see fit GPL-2.0-only (General Public License)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

according to the GPL you can remove that copyright notice, but you can not remove it from the actual code.
and, you can not claim the copyright as your own. but yes, you can remove the copyright that shows at the bottom of the footer.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Tread wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:00 am
Guess i'm lucky then i have used phpbb for the last 10 years and never seeked support until this query.
So for 10 years you have been using this good free forum software.
After all these years, suddenly this link of recognition bothers you. Unfortunately I cannot write now what I would like to answer.
Even with many purchase software you are not allowed to remove it or have to pay a lot to remove the copyright notice in the footer.

Not even with purchased software and devices, I have received such good and fast support as on phpBB. de and phpBB.com! (sometimes there is no answer / reaction at all, with purchased items. e.g. the problem with the not working important software on my notebook.)
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

And still no reason given
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Tread wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Cool i shall remove it then as i dont plan on needing support from phpbb <snip>
... apart from the support you had in this topic that is.

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am
... apart from the support you had in this topic that is.
Haha James, is this not a support request? But he never had a problem and therefore does not need a phpBB copyright in the footer Image

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Let’s refrain from making this personal or attacking each other (one way or another). The short answer is yes, you’re absolutely allowed to remove the credit line in the footer, as long as you keep the (invisible) copyright in the files itself, per the GPL 2.0 license.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”