How often should you Resynchronize PhpBB forums?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Forex Station

How often should you Resynchronize PhpBB forums?

Post by Forex Station »

I've always wanted to know, how often should we be resynchronizing forums? :?
Personally, I've been making it a habit to resynchronize every week or two (especially after posts are deleted, topics moved etc).

How often do you guys resynchronize?
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 48,500

KYPREO

Re: How often should you Resynchronize PhpBB forums?

Post by KYPREO »

I've only found any actual need to do so once - quite recently. Hyperlinks to posts that were returned from the search results page occasionally weren't hitting the correct page and so the post identified through searching was not displayed (you had to find it manually by going to the previous page). This only affected some topics that exceeded 300-500 pages. Some posts in those topics must have deleted over time and thrown out pagination. In most sections however, they had not been synchronised since there was such a thing (10+ years?) and when I synchronised them the stats were identical.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Never did it in 10 years :lol:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Synchronise is a tool for use when required, like a screwdriver, unless you have something odd going on there’s no reason to do it. Personally I can’t remember having to use it, ever. There are issues with your cookie settings though, the cookie domain needs a dot in front and cookie secure needs enabling as your using ssl, see: Fixing incorrect cookie settings

On another note, I see you don’t have the phpBB copyright visible, unless I’m missing something? Any particular reason for that?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

KYPREO wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 am
I've only found any actual need to do so once - quite recently. Hyperlinks to posts that were returned from the search results page occasionally weren't hitting the correct page and so the post identified through searching was not displayed (you had to find it manually by going to the previous page). This only affected some topics that exceeded 300-500 pages. Some posts in those topics must have deleted over time and thrown out pagination. In most sections however, they had not been synchronised since there was such a thing (10+ years?) and when I synchronised them the stats were identical.
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 am
Never did it in 10 years :lol:
Thank you for both of your responses. Good information there. I appreciate it.
Mick wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am
On another note, I see you don’t have the phpBB copyright visible
No idea. We're using a theme which we purchased from Envato Market a long time ago.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that style is by christian 2.0 I really doubt he would have left the phpbb copyright off.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm
that style is by christian 2.0 I really doubt he would have left the phpbb copyright off.

robert
Probably removed by one of our developers. It's never been there for me since 2016 and we credit phpBB in our "who are we" section with a dofollow link anyway.

All this is irrelevant to the topic but thanks for your concern. Contact me via pm if you want to talk about it more.

Back on topic, the Resynchronize option has worked for me by correcting URLs that don't lead to a valid link. So if anyone is sharing links to a particular topic which doesn't work, use this feature to fix those bad links.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

All this is irrelevant to the topic but thanks for your concern.
It is relevant, because some people will not help you if the copyright is not present on your board.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 am
All this is irrelevant to the topic but thanks for your concern.
It is relevant, because some people will not help you if the copyright is not present on your board.
It's irrelevant because I'm not looking for any help. I use the function as it is without issues. I'm only starting a discussion about Resynchronizing to see how often others do it and their experiences etc. But it looks like the little knit pickers have decided to hijack the topic :lol:

Thanks again to those that chimed in. Mods, feel free to close this topic if you like. Cheers.

spaceace

Post by spaceace »

Forex Station wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 pm
It's irrelevant because I'm not looking for any help. I use the function as it is without issues. I'm only starting a discussion about Resynchronizing to see how often others do it and their experiences etc. But it looks like the little knit pickers have decided to hijack the topic :lol:

Thanks again to those that chimed in. Mods, feel free to close this topic if you like. Cheers.
it's very relevant as you are asking for advice/opinions on a board that most deem it very disrespectful to remove or operate with a copyright that has been removed. having this type of attitude is something that a lot of people simply don't like.

on-topic...
i honestly can't recall ever having or needing to use the resync function since i first started my site in 2009. that said, i did use it when doing a migration from different forum software with massive changes. if you are having to do it that often, then there could possibly be an underlying issue somewhere. if you did happen to need any type of help or support, you might not get any with the copyright gone ;)

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I used to consider myself quite knowledgeable about phpBB, and yes, I'm confident that I can solve most problems with some researching but in the last year or so I've discovered many of the less visible intricacies of phpBB (probably not all by far) and have learned a lot about less known features.
Resynchronising is one of those,.. actually it's not, I haven't learned much about it yet. As to how many time I've used it, probably never.

About the copyright: yes, it's permitted to remove it but some people (as mentioned) find it disrespectful and may therefore refuse to offer assistance. It doesn't imply that support requests will remain unanswered, but I can understand that some members will not offer support, and that's their
privilege.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”