Re-check Extensions Version issue

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Maroon Caludin
Name: Megan

Re-check Extensions Version issue

Post by Maroon Caludin »

I was attempting to check that my extensions were all up to date. After clicking re-check all versions it doesn't show what ones are. Usually some are green and others are red I think. If I click on one extension for details it says it failed to get current version info. For the heck of it I made a fake board and it does the same. Is it some kind of bug?
Dook, dook, dook!

"Don't wait for events to catch up with you; go out and meet them head-on!" - Morgan - "The Scions of Shannara" -

hurghanico

Re: Re-check Extensions Version issue

Post by hurghanico »

Maroon Caludin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 pm
I was attempting to check that my extensions were all up to date. After clicking re-check all versions it doesn't show what ones are. Usually some are green and others are red I think. If I click on one extension for details it says it failed to get current version info. For the heck of it I made a fake board and it does the same. Is it some kind of bug?
Same here!.. Again!!.

I had the same problem with phpBB3 v.3.2.8, and tanks to some investigations and the precious help of some forum members here the problem turned out to be the obsolete user-agent attached by my hosting provider (AlterVista) to the requests coming from my board which was refused by the phpbb servers.

Link here to that old thread: Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

So in that period I asked AlterVista to update their user-agent and after some time they did it, and finally the "re-check all versions" function started to work again, and continued to work well for several days.
Then I updated also the phpBB3 to v. 3.3.0 and had no problems, everything was still working perfectly.

But a few days ago the "re-check all versions" function stopped working again.
So I asked AlterVista if for some reasons they restored back the obsolete user-agent, but they didn't.

I therefore deduce that this time the problem comes from the phpbb.com servers.
I don't think it's a phpBB3 bug since it worked perfectly for several days.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Paul wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:22 pm
We have just completed the maintenance on www.phpbb.com. If anything is broken after this maintenance on www.phpbb.com, please let us know in viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2103285
Paul did mention having updated the phpbb.com servers just recently, which might match the time frame of when the failures started. Maybe Paul can speak to whether anything further changed about the HTTP User-Agent: header requirements now in effect on the phpbb.com servers.

Also, one way to further confirm and/or rule out whether it's a phpbb.com change is to determine whether any of your extensions actually use a non-phpbb.com server for the version check. For example in the "Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?" thread cited, david63's extensions actually use the author's own server for the version checks, rather than using phpbb.com.

If you have one or more extensions which don't use phpbb.com for the version check, and can confirm that those can successfully verify the version while all the phpbb.com-based version checks are the only ones that fail, it would further confirm that your hosting provider didn't just start blocking outbound HTTP connections or similar.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

A lot of the issue is that an extension's hooks to check the latest versioning are not correct. This has happened to me in my extensions when I changed my site where the version was from using http to https and I forced https. The links are blue when phpBB can't determine if there is a new version or not. In my case, I had to update the composer.json file to assert to use SSL for version checking, so it was a problem until users updated my extension.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

Maroon Caludin

Post by Maroon Caludin »

I did check and I do have one of David’s extensions and his shows up as up to date, just not the ones from phpbb.com.
Dook, dook, dook!

"Don't wait for events to catch up with you; go out and meet them head-on!" - Morgan - "The Scions of Shannara" -

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Are you saying it’s certain extensions that give you an issue? That being the case you should contact the author via the extensions support forum.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Maroon Caludin

Post by Maroon Caludin »

No. All but David’s which he apparently hosts somewhere else. Everything works it just can’t check for current versions except for David’s.
Dook, dook, dook!

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

I think this is caused by the maintenance we had last tuesday. I will look into it soon.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

All extensions in the CDB have their version check files hosted by phpBB

All unvalidated extensions may or may not have a version check which will obviously be hosted elsewhere.

Also if you download a validated extension (say my Google Search for example) from my site that version check will also be hosted by myself.

The result is that any validation check will only work if your site can contact the site that hosts the relevant file

Maroon Caludin

Post by Maroon Caludin »

Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 am
I think this is caused by the maintenance we had last tuesday. I will look into it soon.
That’s what I was wondering because a day or so before that it was working.
Dook, dook, dook!

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

I checked just now and the "re-check all versions" function is still not working..

after having pressed the "re-check all versions" link this is what I get (ie no graphic difference) :

and if as an example I select the official media embed extension details link I get "Failed to obtain latest version information":

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 am
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Paul

Post by Paul »

We are working on it, and it will be fixed soon.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico »

Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm
We are working on it, and it will be fixed soon.
Many thanks for the news,
take your time!
now that i know it's not a problem from my board or hosting provider, I have no more reason to worry

Paul

Post by Paul »

It should work again. Can someone try it again?
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”