Help guide to setting up SMTP

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
durangod
Name: Dave

Help guide to setting up SMTP

Post by durangod »

I found this on my hosting website and they did a great job breaking down the specific details of what options to choose to set up SMTP with images and everything. Im sure alot of hosts have FAQ sections but i thought this was pretty impressive and it helped me to answer some questions without having to contact support, so i thought i would share it to help others. Even if you dont happen to have their hosting, it might help you to get the answers you may need in some cases...

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowl ... ferent-cms

Happy days... :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Help guide to setting up SMTP

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is nice that you have shared this.
however, that info has been posted here many times and I believe in the userguide.
also, the reason that most of us suggest that you not use smtp even if you have a gmail or other type account is because many , if not most, hosts do not allow you to relay email from other hosts like gmail through their servers.
If you notice in the link you posted, your host says they do not allow smtp relaying without requesting a special setup from the host.
Many hosts do not allow it at all.

good work,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
durangod
Name: Dave

Re: Help guide to setting up SMTP

Post by durangod »

Hi, thanks. I did not know it has been posted already :) Yeah alot of contact pages now have that issue with not being able to relay anymore. The way i do it is that i add a custom field to the email with the reply address to my contact page php message code. That way i know where it came from and i can write them back. If you know how to work around the relay issue, SMTP is still the best way to go IMO :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”