gmail suite settings for forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
vodkamhi

gmail suite settings for forum

Post by vodkamhi »

Hi

I'm having issues with the email settings. These are my current settings and when resetting password I don't receive any email

NOTE : I use my real email address instead of "EMAIL ADDRESS"
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 16.24.57.png

WelshPaul

Re: gmail suite settings for forum

Post by WelshPaul »

Why did you type "EMAIL ADDRESS"? Your email address is clearly visible under the smtp username field.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

vodkamhi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:25 pm
These are my current settings and when resetting password I don't receive any email
Check whether your phpBB ACP Maintenance tab's "Errors" log is receiving errors during your attempts to send email. If you're having an issue even establishing the SMTP connection to begin with, or receiving a specific error back from the STMP server, these events will be logged.

If you're not getting any events in the Errors log, then you might try setting "Email package size:" set to zero in the phpBB ACP Email Settings page. This just bypasses the queue normally used to send email and "sends it right away" rather than waiting for a future chance to process the queue.

If the email address you've obfuscated in the screen shot as "EMAIL ADDRESS" is any different than the @l2-dragon.com email address being used to login to Gmail, it's also possible that Gmail doesn't like "sending email as though you're someone else" since that's a frequent spam behavior. If that's not already what it's set to, you might try setting "EMAIL ADDRESS" to that same @l2-dragon.com email address and determine whether email sending then works.

Finally, a Gmail-specific condition as I understand it is that you must "enable access by low-security applications" in order to allow the SMTP sending though the Gmail account. And for G-Suite this setting was named and located differently than for a normal Gmail account; or at least that was the case for the user who described their experience in this thread.

WelshPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:08 pm
Why did you type "EMAIL ADDRESS"? Your email address is clearly visible under the smtp username field.
We have no idea its the same address, or the one they needed to obscure.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

EA117 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:52 pm
Finally, a Gmail-specific condition as I understand it is that you must "enable access by low-security applications" in order to allow the SMTP sending though the Gmail account. And for G-Suite this setting was named and located differently than for a normal Gmail account; or at least that was the case for the user who described their experience in this thread.
I recently set up Gmail as SMTP and didn't have to do any of the things described in the above linked post, including any modification of phpbb code.

I did however need to create a one-time custom app password through my Google account, as described in the next page of that topic, here: viewtopic.php?p=15423551#p15423551 You can't use your normal Google mail account password.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I otherwise confirm my working Gmail configuration has all the same email settings as the OP, except the last option, allow self signed SSL certificates (i have that set to no).

I believe the issue here may be the user needs to set up the custom Google Apps password and use that instead of the Google account password.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

I don't think those settings match mine, but I'd have to check. I do know I have tls:// in the address for SMTP. However, if your settings are good, then perhaps it's in your gmail settings for the option to allow less secure apps. Check your options there.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I didn't need to select the allow less secure apps option. Perhaps that's because i used a custom created app one-time password with 2FA.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

vodkamhi

Post by vodkamhi »

Still doesn't work. I tested it with another email address from another domain and it worked like magic, back on gmail nothing happens

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Did you try enabling 2FA in your gmail account and creating a custom one-time app password as I described above?

Using this method you don't have a ignore less secure apps option.

Also there is no need for tls in the URL, just enter smtp.gmail.com as the server address.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

EA117

Post by EA117 »

KYPREO wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am
Also there is no need for tls in the URL, just enter smtp.gmail.com as the server address.
Agreed, so long as the port number stays specified as 587 as shown in the screen shot. i.e. Explicit TLS, which phpBB will always attempt on any unencrypted SMTP connection. No TLS negotiation needs to occur when establishing the connection (which is what the tls:// prefix achieves), and will instead happen as soon as phpBB issues the STARTTLS command on the initially-unencrypted connection.

If for testing purposes or by mail provider recommendation you switch to using port 465 instead, this would normally involve implicit TLS, and should require the tls:// prefix. So that TLS negotiation occurs before any attempt at unencrypted communication at all.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

Please have a look at my settings in the screenshot. This is what works for me and I did have to turn off less secure apps in the gmail settings all those years ago.

email.jpg

vodkamhi

Post by vodkamhi »

KYPREO wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am
Did you try enabling 2FA in your gmail account and creating a custom one-time app password as I described above?

Using this method you don't have a ignore less secure apps option.

Ok so I set up like you said, I received a mail saying it is now configured but when trying to reset the password on a user I don't receive any email

Please note I'm using a separate email for the user test

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Ok so I understood your email to mean that the test email worked ok?

But not a password reset email to a user?

If you go into your gmail, does the email appear in your sent items?

If not, are there are entries in the ACP error log (Maintenance tab > forum logs > error log).
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

vodkamhi

Post by vodkamhi »

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 am
Ok so I understood your email to mean that the test email worked ok?

But not a password reset email to a user?

If you go into your gmail, does the email appear in your sent items?

If not, are there are entries in the ACP error log (Maintenance tab > forum logs > error log).
Yes, I got the test mail but not the password reset.
In error log the last one is from yesterday. I did the 2FA earlier today and there is no error after that. No email in sent items on gmail ( only the ones about test email)

vodkamhi

Post by vodkamhi »

I just sent a mass email and I can see the email is sent from gmail, but not received on my other email address, not even in junk. The password reset email is still not being sent

UPDATE. Mass test email received. Nothing about reset password

Return to “phpBB Discussion”