Site Favicon Missing In Google Search Results

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Forex Station

Re: Site Favicon Missing In Google Search Results

Post by Forex Station »

ChinaGal wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:13 am
Unfortunately our Favicons are still not showing in any Google search results. We even moved the Google code to the very top of the head in the file and used search console to resubmit our site map to Google to try to get them to crawl again, but still no change on the favicon issue. If we search in DuckDuckGo though then we see our favicon come up within search results for our site.
Our Favicon has been corrected by Google and it is now showing the newest one. Check yours, it should be working now, too.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 48,500

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

I’m glad to hear yours is working now. That’s great. I just checked ours and it’s the same. Meaning it still isn’t showing at all. And according to the link below Google says:
Note that a favicon isn't guaranteed in search results even if all guidelines are met.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 0858?hl=en

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Can I ask, is your favicon known to be good as in it’s been used before and you know 100% it’s correct as per the .ico specification?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thanks. It does work on DuckDuckGo.com and I made it by creating a png in Photoshop and then using a site which converts png to ico file format. Is there perhaps a better known way to create a 64x64 ico file from a png?

EA117

Post by EA117 »

I've use https://icofx.ro/ to create as many resolutions and color depths as I want. But that's really an application I used simply because I already have it for creating Windows application icons, and not specifically for suitability to web site purposes.

The approach that comes to mind for me is to take your 64x64 (or 256x256, or 512x512 or whatever your source PNG image is) and upload it through https://realfavicongenerator.net/ to have them generate the assets for you. And then simply ignore everything except the .ico file it created in that package, if that's all you're interested in.

Just thinking they will generate one with the sizes and depths that have worked around any web-specific issues they're aware of. Looking at the one they generated for our site, the .ico contains 48x48 at 24bit, 32x32 at 24bit, and 16x16 at 8bit. Or at least that's what they created back in 2018 when we ran it.

But maybe that's already exactly what you meant by "a site which converts png to ico file format." But if you meant more specifically "a graphics format converter site" rather than a "for the purposes of being a web favicon site", its perhaps a way to get an .ico created with web suitability in mind.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you. I have used that site before. That was how I ended up with that odd sized 32x32 sized favicon I was using previously. I upload a 260x260 png file (as https://realfavicongenerator.net/ suggests) and in the output package it creates it only provides you with one actual favicon.ico file of 32x32.

I just ran it again and the result was the same. Since Google says we need to upload a favicon.ico at a size within multiples of 48x48, it seems the one created by this site isn't acceptable to Google, unless I have of course misunderstood something as per the guidelines on the Google link I posted above says as follows:
Your favicon should be a multiple of 48px square, for example: 48x48px, 96x96px, 144x144px and so on
Anyway, when I mentioned a site which converts png to ico file format, I just did a search for sites that convert png files directly to ico files and I choose the first one that came up. I then uploaded the 48x48 png I had made and it created a 48x48 ico file which matches what Google states above.

So I am not sure what else I can perhaps do differently. Thanks again.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 pm
...the output package it creates it only provides you with one actual favicon.ico file of 32x32. I just ran it again and the result was the same.
Interesting. I gave https://realfavicongenerator.net/ my 400x400 PNG 24-bit source image again just now, and the favicon.ico it generated again contained 48x48 at 24bit, 32x32 at 24bit, and 16x16 at 8bit images. I'm not sure what would explain getting an .ico with only a 32x32 image in it. If it's interesting enough to you, feel free to PM an attachment of the source image and the favicon.ico it generated for you, and I'd be happy to look if there are any other clues.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you for that. I just created a 400X400 pixel PNG in 16-bit (I don't think bit depth matters by the way) and I uploaded it and got the same exact result as before. If you are getting a different output then maybe you are doing something different in the settings you are using on the site, but I am not sure. If I send you a PNG I don't think it will make much difference because I think it is probably something to do with all the settings you make to the favicon generator site before you have it generate your files and nothing to do with the PNG file I may be using. Perhaps you can send me a download link to a zip file from a package you created from that site so I can see what you are getting? You can create the package using a single solid color 400x400 file if you rather not send me your actual favicon. I would just like to see what it is outputting for you please so perhaps I can see what is different than what I am getting. Perhaps you can upload the file to WeTransfer and drop the download link into this thread? Also, sorry, I don't mean to make extra work for you and if you rather not bother though then no problem and I will understand. Thanks again.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Good point. In today's test, I hadn't actually changed any of the options https://realfavicongenerator.net/ presented by default, but that's still an assumption that "we are testing the same thing."

Original source image attached:

source.png
source.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Settings. Note this is a false screen shot, because the "Favicon Generation Options" section has been duplicated to show the settings state for each of the tabs in that section. I would have done the same for the first "Favicon for Desktop Browsers and Google Result Pages" section too, but there are no additional tabs for that section:

settings.png

If the download link hasn't expired, you can pull the package generated with these settings from https://realfavicongenerator.net/ directly, else from a mirror at http://ea117.com/download/favicon_package_v0.16.zip.

The contained favicon.ico is confirmed to contain the 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16 images as was seen in my prior tests. However, unlike my previous tests, because of the single-color source image, they have been optimized to only 1-bit color depth instead of 24bit and 8bit:

icon.png

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you for all your kind effort and all the screenshots. I also clicked on the mirror link you provided and downloaded your package straight away, no problem there. When I open the ZIP file I am seeing the exact same thing as I get from a package that I create using the site (see screenshot below of your zip file contents).

screenshot.jpg

It contains only one .ico file as far as I can see and the rest are PNG files. The .ico file is a favicon of only 32x32 pixels. I am not seeing the mix of 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16 favicon.ico images.

Am I perhaps completely misunderstanding something here?

Thanks again.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Out of interest, have you tried using the favicon from here as a test? Image

https://www.phpbb.com/favicon.ico

EA117

Post by EA117 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:45 am
It contains only one .ico file as far as I can see and the rest are PNG files. The .ico file is a favicon of only 32x32 pixels. I am not seeing the mix of 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16 favicon.ico images. Am I perhaps completely misunderstanding something here?
Perhaps that is what's unexpected here. Are you possibly looking at just the Windows "Details" properties of the file, which I see do portray the file as containing a 32x32 32bit-depth image.

properties.png

ICO format is a container, which contains one or multiple images. That way a single .ICO file can contain best-representation images at multiple resolutions and color depths, which often require significantly altered or hand-tuned images for low resolutions or color depths as compared to the higher resolution versions contained in the same .ICO file.

The favicon.ico you're looking at in the favicon_package_v0.16.zip generated here actually contains three different resolutions of the icon image. Which is why in an ICO-aware application like IcoFx I showed a screen shot of, you're seeing "48x48 1", "32x32 1" and "16x16 1" all displayed down the left-hand side. (Citing the resolution and color depth of each image.) There could just as easily have been a single contained image, or instead a dozen or more contained images; but this favicon.ico has specifically these three (3) images.

So I'm guessing the favicon.ico you've generated for your site, at least through https://realfavicongenerator.net/, actually does contain the same three different resolutions within the favicon.ico. And when you look at the contents of the favicon.ico file with a program that understands .ICO files, all three will be shown. Presuming you confirm that's actually true, it would mean there is no issue there and we're back to scratching our heads why Google has not yet accepted or updated the favicon.ico.

Mick wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am
Out of interest, have you tried using the favicon from here as a test?
Well there's an important question I hadn't thought to check. Because neither phpBB's favicon nor my own site's favicon are being shown in Google Search results either. (D'oh!) So even if the favicon.ico file format is the issue, neither my suggestions nor Mick's suggestion would seem to hold the actual answer.

results.png

So now that's making me wonder whether we're actually looking at something more phpBB-specific. ChinaGal, can you look in the phpBB ACP General tab's "Spiders/Robots" section, edit the Google bot, and verify that the style selected for the Google bot to see actually is a style you've updated with your favicon.ico. e.g. That the Google bot isn't being shown an unmodified prosilver or similar, and so they don't see your favicon.ico at all.

That doesn't seem to be the case on my own board; Google bot is being shown the EA117-customized style just like guests are. And my favicon.ico doesn't show up in the Google Search results either. So there is probably more to the issue; but, if your phpBB wasn't showing bots the modified style, that too would be a problem.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The favicon.ico has to be in the correct format or browsers will ignore it, hence I suggested using this one to test. Many sites I used for generating ico’s in the past said all the right words but very often produced rubbish. Also, the file needs to be in the domain root, as it is here. If it’s working properly there should be no need for any code, just drop it in the root and it should work. I did exactly that with a live board a few weeks back and it worked first time after a CTRL F5 and that’s how it’s always worked as far as I’m aware.

I’m not talking about google results here, I mean a ‘normal’ ico install like this:

B4D3B309-0750-490F-A8CC-AAC1690F2A84.jpeg
B4D3B309-0750-490F-A8CC-AAC1690F2A84.jpeg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 182 times

I assume if it’s not working as a normal favicon.ico as above it won’t show in the listings.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Fair enough, but I believe the opening post here was already clear on the favicon working fine for web browsers and normal visitors, and the issue is with getting Google Search showing the favicon in search results as well:
ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:02 pm
Our site has a favicon, which comes up correctly in browsers when visiting our site, but not in Google search results.

Hmm.... is my mistake that I was expecting the favicon to be showing up in the Google Search results in my desktop version of Chrome? (Which is where my prior screen shots of phpBB.com and ea117.com search hits came from.) Because when I perform the same search in my Android version of Chrome, the Google search results do show the favicon from the site:

search.png

Yep, apparently that is where I made my mistake. Google's announcement specifically says "This redesign is coming first to mobile and will be rolling out over the next few days."

So perhaps the question now, ChinaGal, is all of this information you already knew. And it's specifically in the Google Search results on mobile where you're not seeing your favicon show up.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you all for your posts and ideas in between and sorry to have not been back to this topic for around the last 24 hours.

I am not sure what information is relevant for me to add to the discussion at this point or what I should actually try next at this point, but let me try to please answer a few points first.

The favicon.ico file I was using before that was created by https://realfavicongenerator.net/, which I now understand may have contained multiple favicons within that one file, and which I misunderstood to be only 32x32 pixels, never worked correctly with Google mobile browser search results. This is what started me on this whole issue.

Note that towards the begining of this topic it was also discovered that I had the Google recommended code partially incorrect and that was since fixed a while agho, but even after that the favicon.ico still didn't come up in Google mobile search results. I may have not given it long enough though for Google to update their search results after I fixed the code, and before I replaced the facivon.ico, but not sure if that is even part of the issue at this point.

And since I thought there was a problem with the favicon.ico file created by https://realfavicongenerator.net/ (and it not being a multiple of 48px) I then created my own 48x48px favicon from a PNG and converted it to an .ico file using a site that just coverts a PNG file of any size to an ICO file. And this is the ICO file we are using at the moment.

Yes, just to reconfirm, the only problem we have is with Google mobile search results. Our favicon shows correctly at the top of all desktop web browser and it shows correctly in DuckDuckGo search results on both desktop and mobile.

So I am not sure what else we can try at this point if anything? We are still using the 48x48 favicon I created the other day. So maybe I will at least switch it back to the one created by https://realfavicongenerator.net/ and see if that works, but I am not expecting it will make any difference.

If there is anything else you feel we should try at this point then please let me know.

Thanks again.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”