Site Favicon Missing In Google Search Results

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
EA117

Re: Site Favicon Missing In Google Search Results

Post by EA117 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 am
It is a good thought that perhaps there is maybe some other broken favicon.ico related code in the overall_header.html file, but we never added anything. So there shouldn't be. I also just did a search in the file for "favicon.ico" just in case and the only one that came up is the one that I just mentioned.

The only other code in the file at all related to "link rel=" is as follows...
Seems like the problem remains elusive, as always. Agreed I'm not seeing anything in that overall_header.html template which raises any suspicion. But from your end, do an actual "view page source" when viewing the home page of the phpBB site, and see what's actually being emitted into the HTML document.

Since aside from what's in the overall_header.html template itself, extensions have the opportunity to inject more, technically your hosting provider has enough control to be injecting more, etc. Still probably a long shot, but looking in the document generated when actually viewing your site is the more definitive / most definitive place to look.

Does your .htaccess perhaps block any specific bot "User-Agent" strings and/or any specific paths? (And perhaps the rule is affecting more than expected or intended.) Or maybe has a rule intended to prevent image leeching ("referrer is blank or not my own site") which might prevent the Google bot from downloading the image? Any robots.txt that tries to disallow crawling and/or specific bots? I think we can assume "no" -- since "the icon" has seemed like the only issue, and not "Google can't index my site" -- but just trying to think of any remaining reason.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thanks. I will try and pull a page source and see if there is anything unusual. Also, nothing I can think of in our .htaccess file that would cause any problems like that. But I jut thought of something else....

In our robots.txt file we do have:

Code: Select all

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /
But to be honest, it is doesn't even work. Google still indexes images from our site. So they seem to be ignoring it. But, do you think this could effect a favicon?

I also think we added in this robots.txt file after we already had the favicon problem. Anyway, I just deleted the Robots file for now since that is the only code in the file and Google ignores it anyway for what it is intended for. I don't expect this will really make any difference, but it is worth a shot I guess.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Only Google would know for sure what effect and involvement it would have, based on what they know is feeding the system they use to choose the image. Agree its something to at least try and wait to see the effect of, given it's relevance "specifically to Google" and everything else you've already tried. Not holding my breath, but it would at least be consistent with why "nothing else helped" thus far.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you for all your help on this. Yes, makes sense to give it a try. We have disabled the file and so let's see if anything changes over the next couple of weeks and if the favicon starts showing up now. I will report back again after some time.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”