Looking around

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
JesusIsGodAlmighty

Looking around

Post by JesusIsGodAlmighty »

Hello all, I'm looking around for which from I should use for my website, I have centered it to 2 possibilities although not sure which one I will land on. One of cause it phpBB the other is fluxBB so.... I guess a good start is to join both and see how they work, so here I am.

Anyone have an example of phpBB with dark theme maybe?
I guess you can setup the password to be shorter then 10 characters and all?

Anyway, I'm pretty in the unknown here overall, but I think it will be either one of them that will be chosen whichever I might land on.

Both of them are opensource as I understand - and really, phpBB seems to look pretty clean as far as it goes for now.

If anyone have any thoughts, just put them on the table and I will consider whatever comes forth and it might be helpful making me make any choice.

Thanks
DarkiJah

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Looking around

Post by HiFiKabin »

Welcome to phpBB.

Naturally we will say use this software (which as you rightly say is open source) as this is the one we have knowledge of. FuuxBB will obviously say to use theirs :lol:

Passwords can be of any length and complexity which you can set in the ACP.

Look at the Styles Demo to see what styles have been approved https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... r/demo/3.2 The ones called Black or Blackboard might be suitable for your site.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

As they are both Open Source they why do you not download a copy of each and install it then "play" with them to see which does what you want, or can be made to do what you want. That is what I do when looking at various options of software packages.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Random American

Post by Random American »

https://www.phpbb.com/demo/

Phpbb also has a demo you can quickly look at if you wish to get a bit of a feel for the software's interfaces, including the ACP layout.

JesusIsGodAlmighty

Thanks for the feedbacks - overall just looking for some views and feedback by the experience by others to get more data points :)

Thanks I'll take a look on the sites and again thanks for your feedback.

Dearly Regards
- DarkiJah

JesusIsGodAlmighty

Question to James and thanks by the way for the welcome - I was looking around on your page when I lo and behold saw the MOON!!! Is that a plugin for phpBB or is that something outside added to your website? That's a awesome Idea as the Moonth is going by the Moon and I follow it around. We are nearly at the head of the Biblical New Year - should be when the next new Moon starts. But very nice with the moon thing... That gave me an idea. But maybe you could help me a little in regards of what you're using on your page? :)

I'm still doing studies and research on the 2 forums - I've look on others as well, and still these 2 choices of FluxBB and phpBB is the main ones I'm being pointed at. Clearly both forums works pretty nicely as far as I can see.

Dearly Regards
DarkiJah

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

JesusIsGodAlmighty wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:36 pm
<snip>
Question to James and thanks by the way for the welcome - I was looking around on your page when I lo and behold saw the MOON!!! Is that a plugin for phpBB or is that something outside added to your website? <snip>
Its an extension that I have built, you can download it from my extension site https://phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41 and from this site https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... oon_phase/

It WILL NOT work on any other board software. If you have any questions about it please ask in either of the support topics linked in the download locations.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

JesusIsGodAlmighty wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 am
Hello all, I'm looking around for which from I should use for my website, I have centered it to 2 possibilities although not sure which one I will land on. One of cause it phpBB the other is fluxBB so.... I guess a good start is to join both and see how they work, so here I am.
It's a bit peculiar that your choice is limited to FluxBB and phpBB because FluxBB is very lightweight and not very "extendable" whereas phpBB is full of extra features and has many extensions. You're looking at what could be considered as the extremes at both ends.
I think you need to define your needs and wants first (in case you haven't yet). I take it you're looking at the free packages. As a user and supporter of phpBB, my choice is obvious but it's probably based on completely different requirements.
In forum software comparisons phpBB is usually regarded as having an "old" style look but that isn't really true anymore and with quite a number of dark styles being produced I think phpBB has caught up with the "competition": there are a couple of styles in development (not in the styles demo yet) which are better than anything I've seen elsewhere but you'll have to look around in the Styles forums to see those.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

did you go here and read the history of fluxbb?
https://fluxbb.org/
the last update was two years ago.
at that time they were talking about releasing a new major version upgrade that works on something higher than php4
that apparently did not happen yet even though he said within a few weeks.

I am not sure but to me this sounds like fluxbb 1.5.11 ( the newest version ) will not even work on the current versions of php since it was designed to work on php4

I think I would stay away from fluxbb.
even if you don't want to use phpBB then find one of the other ones that keeps up to date etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 am
did you go here and read the history of fluxbb?
https://fluxbb.org/
the last update was two years ago.
Not entirely correct.
The release announcement for 1.5.11 was made on 2018-12-31 which is less than a year and 3 months ago.
The "problem" with FluxBB is that it's basically a 1 man job so development is bound to be hampered by time constraints.

JesusIsGodAlmighty should search the internet for comparison of forum software (although with a name like that no extra wisdom is needed ;) ).
As mentioned, download and install the ones that look most promising and experiment with them. Use a personal webserver package on your PC and within a week you'll have installed and tested some 10 applications. Limiting your choice to FluxBB and phpBB without knowing much about installation, features, administration, etc... is a bit shortsighted. Play around with some packages to find out whether they suit you.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Save yourself the bother, install phpBB and you’ll never look back👍🏽
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Not sure but i took a look at FluxBB and i think they changed names.
FluxBB became Flarum.
https://flarum.org/
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Flarum wrote:Flarum is beta software. That means it still has some incomplete features and bugs 🐛🐞, and at some point – sooner or later – it will probably break! 💥

Beta is all about fixing these issues and improving Flarum. Please don't use Flarum in production unless you know what you're doing. We can’t support you if things go awry. Upgrading to subsequent versions will be possible, but might involve getting your hands dirty.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

JesusIsGodAlmighty

Elias wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:20 pm
Not sure but i took a look at FluxBB and i think they changed names.
FluxBB became Flarum.
https://flarum.org/
Just their next project it is not FluxBB but a whole new thing. But it is in Beta stage and not really liking the new ways of things... But still looking around and gathering inteligence and information.

JesusIsGodAlmighty

Can you change the Theme on this forum by the user for another theme? I seem to not be able to find it in the option or maybe I am just blind.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”