Discussion topic for FAQ change suggestions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Discussion topic for FAQ change suggestions

Post by stevemaury »

This is the discussion topic for viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2548731&p=15479516#p15479516
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
P_I

Re: Discussion topic for FAQ change suggestions

Post by P_I »

Is it limited to the contents of the FAQ or do you also want suggestions to improve the implementation?

On my boards, the number one misunderstood feature is why private messages appear 'stuck' in the outbox. The explanation from https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... m_folders/ would help.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Suggestion for additional topics are welcome. Thanks.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Why isn’t X feature available?
This software was written by and licensed through phpBB Limited. If you believe a feature needs to be added please visit the phpBB Ideas Centre, where you can upvote existing ideas or suggest new features.
Maybe also suggest posting in Extension Requests or search if X feature is available as an already released extension.
Who do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this board?
Any of the administrators listed on the “The team” page should be an appropriate point of contact for your complaints. If this still gets no response then you should contact the owner of the domain (do a whois lookup) or, if this is running on a free service (e.g. Yahoo!, free.fr, f2s.com, etc.), the management or abuse department of that service. Please note that the phpBB Limited has absolutely no jurisdiction and cannot in any way be held liable over how, where or by whom this board is used. Do not contact the phpBB Limited in relation to any legal (cease and desist, liable, defamatory comment, etc.) matter not directly related to the phpBB.com website or the discrete software of phpBB itself. If you do email phpBB Limited about any third party use of this software then you should expect a terse response or no response at all.
Are the 2 instances of the word "the" appropriate? The last sentence doesn't contain it.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

P_I wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:20 pm
Is it limited to the contents of the FAQ or do you also want suggestions to improve the implementation?

On my boards, the number one misunderstood feature is why private messages appear 'stuck' in the outbox. The explanation from https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... m_folders/ would help.
I have the same question on my board. I would suggest:
Why is my private message stuck in the Outbox?
Sent messages will appear in either the "Outbox" or the "Sent Messages" folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the "Outbox". As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the "Sent messages" folder.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, it can may be helpful to include a note for using the "QuickReply" (form).
Reference:
viewtopic.php?p=15525731#p15525731
viewtopic.php?p=15526041#p15526041
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Links! The whole FAQ has been text only for over a decade and not one single word/term is linked. Examples:
  • BBCode is explained in various questions, but not one of them links to the actual BBCode help
  • "I registered but cannot login!" neither links to the login, nor does the login link to this FAQuestion. Hello, it's the internet - it works thru links.
  • "I’ve lost my password!" loosely explains where to do that, but again: no link.
  • "What does the “Delete cookies” do?" could use the link to delete cookies, too.
  • "How do I change my settings?"... I guess you noticed by now: just link to UCP > Board preferences > Edit global settings in the text.
...and so on. Even the BBCode help could use a link in the "Adding attachments into a post" pointing to UCP > Overview > Manage attachments.

Pictures! Again there's only text when existing pictures could be embedded to explicitly show what is meant. Examples:
  • "How do I edit or delete a post?" should show the current style's "edit" so called button. Of course it's not a picture anymore, but that's neither my fault, nor the reader's. Those who designed today's CSS and use FontAwesome can figure out how to embed it into a FAQ.
  • "How can I report posts to a moderator?" should also illustrate the button.
  • "How do I subscribe to specific forums?"... Again I guess you noticed by now: just use the same "pictures" that are used throughout the board so people unmistakingly recognize them.
...and so on.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”